News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Upgrading the 1200

Started by JimInNM, November 08, 2014, 06:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimInNM

Just purchased a 1200 and noticed there are some important upgrades on the T4 and T7 like the adjustable nut and Post and the SVD-185 vs. the SVD-180. Also, there is a new setup gauge for woodturners the TTS-100, can it be used on the 1200 or do I need to change something to use it?  My last question is, the T7 has an angled horizontal base and the 1200 is straight, does this matter for using any of the jigs in particular?

Thank you: Jim

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Jim.

One of the design parameters of Tormek is "no Tormek left behind".. The jigs should work with your 1200. However, I don't know of anyone who posts on the forum who uses one and can speak from direct experience. Hopefully Stig will post soon. Stig is our contact person at the factory in Sweden.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

You should be able to use the setup gauge.  From reading the forum and some older reviews I saw, before that gauge, they used to recommend making your own spacing template (block of wood), but the jig made it simpler.
If the adjustable nut and post is what I think your referring to, it is the msk200 upgrade. http://tormek.com/international/en/spare-parts/shafts/msk-200-stainless-steel-shaft/
On the angled base, the model prior to the T7 was called the Supergrind 2000, and during its production, it changed from the square frame to the angled frame and got an addition that only works on the angled frame, of a stone gauge/label. (don't have to grab a measure)  Mine is the angled 2000, but I have been watching someone local, trying to sell their square framed 2000 locally, for the last year (started at $600 and now down to $400). If they came down to a realistic price, I would be tempted for a second stone machine.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)