News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Handle of Tormek T7

Started by Mmmartin123, November 05, 2014, 10:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mmmartin123

Hello together!
First of all. I really like your machine. It's not cheap stuff (as from china), but in return it works. That a deal. And that's OK. No Diskussion.
But my diskussion here is not the price, but the handle of the T7. This black handle is only fixed on one side, as you know. That makes him very instable. Why don't use a handle in reverse U-shape fixed with 2 screws to the blue base metal.
Sorry, but I do not understand the engineer who took the decision of using this kind of handle. Another one would not be more expensive...
Maybe he was drunk and has seen the thread for the fixture twice?? (I'm joking ;))
Thanks for the idea of integrating the handle of the new Tormek T4 in the upper casted plate!! Good decision!

grepper

Welcome to the forum Mmmartin123.

Is your handle loose?  The handle on mine is rock solid, perpendicular (90 degrees) to the wheel.  It is every bit as solid as if it were a "U" shape, with no movement at all.

I'm not sure how it attaches, but I suspect that it can be tightened if that is what you are talking about.

SharpenADullWitt

Are we talking balance?

The Tormek T7 is kind of a legacy hold over from the earlier 2000 model.  On the T7 the horizontal base wasn't there originally, then was with a different, single knob setup (mine) then later the dual knobs that became the T7.  The T4 incorporates that into the zinc cast horizontal base/handle combo.  Other then pulling it out of the box, or transporting (where they recommend removing the stone), the handle isn't used as much since the rotating base (instead of picking it up and trying not to spill the water).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Lillis

If i should make a guess i think the handle is made with as little holes in the base as possible.
There is alot of water running over the machine and i would say its good that it is only bolted on one side, makes it easier to wipe off.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Mmmartin123 on November 05, 2014, 10:43:15 PM
This black handle is only fixed on one side, as you know. That makes him very instable. Why don't use a handle in reverse U-shape fixed with 2 screws to the blue base metal.
Sorry, but I do not understand the engineer who took the decision of using this kind of handle.

Mine has worked find for over 10 years. It seems very stable to me.

From an engineering viewpoint I would think that stability and cost would both be factors under consideration.

Utility is another. It's easier to grab with one end open!
Origin: Big Bang

Stickan

Hi,
The handle is design this way so the machine is easier to clean.
Stig