News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Drive wheel wobble?

Started by kaptain_zero, February 12, 2006, 07:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaptain_zero

How much side to side wobble is considered normal for the drive wheel on the Tormek? Mine is about 1/8th of an inch side to side which causes the honing wheel to wobble about the same amount. I've placed a few layers of masking tape on the low spot where one of the 3 "nubs" of the honing wheel contact the side of the drive wheel and that has reduced the wobble a fair amount but I'm thinking that this should not have been necessary.

Otherwise there is no problem with the drive train, lots of power if I keep the wheel and motor shaft clean.

Regards

Christian

Jeff Farris

If it truly is an eighth of an inch, that is out of tolerance.  Place a small block of scrap wood next to the wheel and turn it by hand. Let the wheel push the block to the extreme of its left travel, then continue to rotate the wheel until it as its extreme right travel. Now, measure the gap.  If it is over one sixteenth, contact your Canadian dealer for a replacement drive wheel.
Jeff Farris

kaptain_zero

Well, turns out that when I take the honing wheel off, the drive wheel runs within 0.015" which is of course quite good. When I assembled the unit the first time around, I had quite a bit of wobble in the leather honing wheel, so I used a few pieces of masking tape on the side of the drive wheel to shim it out enough to run fairly true. It was this masking tape shimming that caused the drivewheel to warp when the leather hone was installed. I have since removed the shim and after cleaning up the inside of the honing wheel (there were some remnants of plastic from the casting process and trying it in all the possible positions I got it running true enough to not be an issue anymore.

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff.

Christian