News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Is the warranty transferable to a new owner?

Started by stevebot, October 21, 2014, 11:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevebot

From the US Distributor:
The warranty follows the machine.
Regards,
Craig Ursell | Affinity Tool Works, LLC
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

SharpenADullWitt

I was on with our Mod this morning and sent him that and asked him if they visit Yahoo forums.  I think the answer needs to go to both forums.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Stickan

On the Warranty card that follows the machine it´s written : Valid together with the purchase receipt.
So if you buy a used machine, get the purchase receipt and the warranty follows the machine.

Stig

Ken S

I would not let the lack of a warranty scare anyone away from a Tormek.  Of course, having a warranty is the ideal situation.  However, the Tormek is a very hearty and simple machine.  There is not much to go wrong, especially with reasonable care in use. Even a new shaft costs only $66 and needing one is and preventable.

I would put the Tormek in the same category as my my grandfather's 1931 Delta table saw.  To the best of my knowledge, it was only back in the repair shop once, and that was for only preventative mtce.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

In this case, I don't think it is so much a case about worried about the warranty, but the price someone is asking, used, without, so close to new price, with warranty.  It is about Value. (from receiving the posts from that forum)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

The concept of value arises from time to time on this forum. Often it involved the T7 vs the T3 (or now T4). Sometimes it involves new vs used.

How valuable is the Tormek 10 year warranty? I have stated before that the Tormek doesn't seem to have much to go wrong.  I still believe that. However, occasionally on this forum we have had members with grinding wheels replaced by Tormek.  Whether these wheels were really defective or whether Tormek was just going the extra mile for the customer is unknown to me.  A replacement grinding wheel is $168.

Occasionally we have a post with a defective motor capacitor.

While defective components seem rare, they do exist.

A very recent post noted a wheel diameter of 233 mm.  While that wheel still has much usable life, the first quarter to third of usefulness has been already ground away.  It's like a used car having thirty thousand miles on the odometer.  Lots of life left, but the best thirty thousand miles already used. How much would you pay for such a used wheel? If $168 is the new price for 250mm, anything north of $100 doesn't seem like such a hot deal.

I can see why Tormek insists the original sales receipt is in hand before honoring a transferred warranty.  Tormeks are occasionally stolen.  Mine was.  Tormek emailed me the serial number for the police report.  Tormek knows my unit was stolen.  Should someone submit a warranty claim on my stolen unit, I can see why Tormek or any company would not want to be in the middle of such a problem.

Knowing that the warranty transfer requires the original bill of sale, if such documentation is not available, the unit for sale is worth less.  With no warranty, the buyer must assume the risk and liability of repair.
Unfortunately, there are many who do not realize this and will bid up the price to an unrealistic level. This happens often on online auctions.

The Tormek is a long term investment.  Consider the value of having the latest innovations built into a new model.  This includes having a stainless steel shaft, a full size wheel and a ten year warranty.

I could be tempted by a used second Tormek unit for my SB or SG wheel.  However, it would have to be priced very low, lower than an uninformed buyer might pay. I'm not holding my breath.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on October 23, 2014, 03:42:46 AM
A very recent post noted a wheel diameter of 233 mm.  While that wheel still has much usable life, the first quarter to third of usefulness has been already ground away. 

I reckon it's only about 13%.

(233/250)2 = 87% remaining.

Edit: Oops! That calculation assumes the grindstone can be used until the diameter is zero! Not very realistic. I wonder what the minimum usable diameter is.
Origin: Big Bang

Dutchman

According to the manual, the recommend minimum diameter is 180mm.
The diameter of a new stone is 250mm.
So the usable reduction in diameter of a new stone is 250-180=70mm.
A stone with a diameter of 233mm can still be reduced by 233-180=53mm.
The grinding area is proportional to the circumference of the stone.
That area is reduced to  (53/70)^2=0,57 times the original.
So the remaining 'value' of the used stone of 233mm is 57% of a new stone.