News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wheel Storage - T7 - sporadic use...

Started by Hukea, October 13, 2014, 02:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hukea

Hi all,

I'm a recent t7 owner, and will/have been using the machine in fits and starts. The machine is stored/used in my loft, which is well ventilated, dry, cold in winter, warm in summer and dark (when I'm not in there!).

I'm a little concerned with regard to the storage of the stone after use. It's obviously wet and in winter months may take a time to evaporatively dry. Does this matter? may it distort the stone if it takes longer-times to dry out? is it better to remove the stone and store in a slightly warmer environment (vertical or horizontal)? I'm sure it's not a good idea to store it wet (as I'm sure this would lead to swelling in the wheel, which is in contact with the water)?

I've searched the forum but can't see a satisfactory answer, but this must be a common issues with tormek's being stored in workshops/garages etc

Am I worrying over nothing? The wheels are expensive so I want mine to last as long as possible.

Rob

it really isn't a biggy as its very robust.  I leave me mine all year round in an extremely damp garage and nothing bad has happened to it in 5 years.

I would certainly take off the trough, rinse and dry and let the wheel completely dry but as long as the loft isn't below 4 degrees C then any residual water in it wont expand causing problems.  If it does get to that temperature then bring it indoors for a couple of weeks while the stone completely drys then it should be OK back in the loft.

There's certainly no need to dismount the wheel.
Best.    Rob.

Hukea

Thank Rob - that's good to know. I'll keep a eye on winter loft temperatures...

It's good have this piece of mind, as it's a big investment so I don't want it going wobberly when I'm not around!

Thanks for taking the time to respond :-)

Best Alex

Herman Trivilino

The new Sharpening Station stores the extra grindstones in the vertical position. Definitely do not leave them soaking in the water trough. I wouldn't move a soaking wet grindstone to a space where the temperature is well below freezing, but as long as your shop stays above freezing for a couple of hours after you leave, and you remove the water trough, you should be ok leaving the grindstone mounted in the machine.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Welcome, Alex. I kept my first Tormek in my unheated Ohio garage (no basement). After moving, the replacement is kept in a climate controlled basement. (The original unit was stolen.) The Tormek is hearty and survives well in either environment. The operator prefers the latter environment.

Ken