News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Universal tool support is not square period

Started by Kylar1, October 18, 2014, 02:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylar1

I just purchased a used supergrind and when I checked the universal tool support, it is not even close to being square. Im not talking about square to the stone. The horizontal support is not square to the vertical supports....is this normal?  if not is it fixable or do I need to replace it?

Herman Trivilino

It's supposed to be square, so if you can't bend it back into shape you'll need to replace it.

If it's the older version without the threaded leg and micro adjuster you'll be making a worthwhile upgrade.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Kylar.

I think the first thing to determine is whether the universal support bar or the posts it sits in are the culprit.
Holding the bar with the long side on the bottom, it the long side straight? We want to eliminate the possibility that the unit was dropped on the support bar.  The long horizontal bar and the two vertical bars should be square.  That is easily checked with a square (test the square for squareness first). If, by chance, you don't have a square a piece of paper will do in a pinch.

If the bar is square, do either the vertical slot supports or the horizontal slot supports line up properly? If the verticals are ok, your problem may be the way the horizontals were attached.  I believe some of the early supergrinds had only verticals, and the horizontals were owner installed later. You may be able to remount the horizontals.

I hope this helps.  If not, keep posting.  If so, please keep posting also.

Ken

Kylar1

I used a good square.  The long horizontal bar and 2 vertical posts are very really out of square...should I just try to bend it back?

Ken S

You may or may not be able to pound your support bar back into square. Frankly, for the modest cost of a replacement universal support bar, I would just replace it.  The new model really is an improvement.  The threaded micro adjust nut definitely simplifies things.  I ordered extra calibrate nuts for both of my support bars.  I would recommend ordering an extra calibrated nut with your support bar if you are ordering one online or through a dealer. (do it at the same time if you pay postage.) I use the spare nut as a jam or lock nut. Granted, it's a little fancy for this application, however, it works very well.

With a new support bar in hand, if you are able to pound your existing bar back into square, so much the better.  Having a spare is useful.  If not, it's no bit deal. The main thing is you need a good universal support bar.

Do keep us posted.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Kylar1 on October 19, 2014, 05:55:40 PM
I used a good square.  The long horizontal bar and 2 vertical posts are very really out of square...should I just try to bend it back?

Might as well. You've got nothing to lose. Also make sure that the horizontal bar and the two vertical legs lie in a plane. I would clamp it in place and try bending it with a scrap piece of half-inch steel pipe.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

I purchased a used roughing gouge which someone had caught and bent.  After some thought, I put the steel blade vertically in my tail vise and applied gradual pressure on the handle.  Working very carefully, I was able to straighten the gouge.

My advice to you would be to start with very controlled pressure. Slow and steady.  If that doesn't work, add more pressure.  A gentle touch with lots of leverage.

If you want to do this, I wish you good luck.  As Herman said, you have nothing to lose.  As the Tormek is capable of fairly precise grinding, I would still recommend starting with a new support bar with the micro adjust. (By all means, give the bent one a straightening try as a spare.)

Ken

grepper

I second Herman and Ken's opinion.  Just replace it with a new one.  An out of alignment control bar can cause a lot of unnecessary head scratching.

If you are only sharpening knives or similar items you could probably get away with it, but if you are doing something like chisels, control bar misalignment could present difficult to understand issues that could evolve into a hair pulling freak show to resolve.

Ken S

Well stated, Grepper.  Some difficulties we can eliminate, and some we must endure and try to work around.  This seems like something we can easily eliminate.  The cost is minimal and the new model is easier to use.

Ken