News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Old jigs, any advantadges?

Started by SharpenADullWitt, August 03, 2014, 04:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

I have been going through the forum and found the old flat blade jig, being listed as better for mortising chisels (by Ionut from memory).  I know there was a SVS-40 jig, that was the predecessor to the 32.  I think Jeff just sold some old stock in January, of it, via Ebay.  I am wondering if this jig has any benefits over the new on any tool?  (found one via CL, wondering if I should add it, if price is right)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Yes, the old flat jig will sharpen the very large mortising chisels.  They won't quite fit in the redesigned jig, the SE-76.  These are only the "pig sticker" style traditional British mortising chisels now made by Ashley Iles. Ionut raised the question because he uses these chisels. Ionut also helped me locate and purchase one of the old jigs.  I don't own any of the big mortising chisels, but I might someday.  I like to be prepared.  My sash mortising chisels, the common variety, work well in the newer SE-76 jig.

Is the older jig superior?  No, it only accommodated a rarely used variety of chisel.  In my opinion, the newer design is far superior. I don't know about the other jigs.  I can't imagine any company going through the expense of retooling to make an inferior product.

Did Jeff sell some old stock on ebay?  Who knows, and who cares?  Most of us, myself included, would be better off to sell off some "old stock".

SharpenADullWitt

Pig sticker's, ok.  I don't remember reading that part in his post.  (although I thought they were Ray Isles)
My only mortising chisels are Narex, and I still have access to the old SE-60 if that would have been an issue.  Just saw the other jig on a for sale board, and thought I better ask, while I knew where I could get one.
Thank you Ken.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

The square edge jigs remind me of the balls people put on strings hung in the garage.  With the new jig, just like having a ball on a string, you just drive in until the ball touched the windshield.  With the older jig, you just drive in and park.  It requires a bit more skill, but either gets the job done.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I have both the older straight edge jig and the balls hanging from the ceiling, so I guess I'm bit of each.   :)
Origin: Big Bang