News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

foot switch for a Tormek

Started by Ken S, July 20, 2014, 04:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

The question has come up about using a foot switch with a Tormek.  The specific application was to allow both hands to hold the back of a chisel against the side of the wheel during starting and stopping the motor.

A foot switch interrupts power to the Tormek. The new safety switch is designed to prevent the Tormek from unintentionally starting after a power failure.  I believe this switch is mandated by the European board of safety standards.  So, while the newer switch is safer, it is perhaps somewhat less convenient in this case.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I suppose you could replace the electronic switch with the older mechanical switch:

http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/xcart/product.php?productid=195&cat=9

Another option would be to bypass the electronic switch altogether by hard-wiring your foot switch in parallel. 
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Replacing the switch would certainly be a possibility. However, would it be the best course of action?  It would probably void the warranty and violate European safety standards.  I believe the wiser course is to pursue other options in flattening chisel backs. That's why i use flat stones or abrasive paper on glass.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

That would work, too.  Or you could do both if you have a really rough surface.  Start on the Tormek and then move to bench stones.  I'm sure that you didn't throw away your bench stones when you bought your first Tormek.   :)

Reminds me of that commercial for a self-adjusting wrench where they claim you can throw away all your other wrenches.  One of the carpenters on the crew announced that he had stopped on the way to work that morning and thrown his toolbox full of wrenches in the ditch.

SharpenADullWitt

Mine is the older 2000 model.  Pretty sure that a switched outlet would work.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Try running the machine and unplugging the cord.  (switch left on) Plug the cord back in.  if the motor is still on, the foot switch should work.  Good luck.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

From the sharptoolsusa website:  for the 2000 and T-7 (all 10-inch systems)

6061 Rocker Switch Serial #s below 514458

6330 Electronic Switch Serial #s 514458 and up

SharpenADullWitt

I will post back tomorrow.  Been a long day and tomorrow should be longer.  Mainly got on tonight, trying to find a commercial a friend of mine is in.
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

SharpenADullWitt

Mine is the old style.  Makes me wonder about an old sewing machine pedal, or making my own switched outlet (larger switch).
8)

Ken S

As I recall, my air foot switch was around thirty dollars. All you need is something to allow you to keep both hands on the tool and the tool against the wheel at startup and shut down. That lessens the chance of rounding the back. The air switch is a safe option.  One poster has his son turn the switch on and off. As long as you don't have to rent a child, that's an inexpensive option.

Ken