News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grading Stone

Started by billmaz, December 06, 2005, 04:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmaz

I was wondering how often when using the grading stone to make the wheel 1000 grit  that you have to redo it, or once you grade it to 1000 does it just stay that way? I also sharpened some steak knives and they had a slight curve to the blade originally, now I seemed to have straightend them out. Did I do something wrong?
P.S.
This machine is the best invention since the wheel. :o

Jeff Farris

Issue #1:

If you are sharpening straight edge tools of harder steel, the stone will stay smooth until you use the grader to rough it back up. On shaped tools and softer steels, the stone will return to the faster cutting action through stone wear. Don't rely on this, however.  Always use the coarse side of the grader when starting a sharpening job that requires rapid stock removal.

Issue #2:

Despite what I just said above (always use the grader to start a job requiring rapid stock removal), I think your steak knives have been over-ground because you have not properly graded your stone to the 1000 grit and/or you ground too much before grading.  I do not use the fast cutting action on knives -- only chisels, plane irons, turning tools, etc.  The 1000 grit cut is sufficient to sharpen knives unless they are extremely damaged.

Jeff Farris

billmaz

I graded it, but maybe not enough. Thank you for the fast reply.