News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Used Tormek, some questions

Started by Slice, November 21, 2005, 04:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slice

I recently acquired a Tormek that has been used hard.  The first problem I have is that when I tighten the grinding stone on, the inner edge of the honing wheel scrapes the left side of the housing.  There is a washer on the shaft, and the bushings are new.   The previous owner had this problem, the paint is scraped off where the honing wheel and the housing meet, and oxidation has begun.  Is this a problem I can fix with two washers?  Or is the honing wheel and/or the drive wheel tightened too far down the shaft?

Also, the knob on the honing wheel seems to spin with some resistance, but is not loosening or tightening anything.  What is the problem with this?  I can't remove the honing wheel with this.

The grinding wheel has a deep rut, but lots of diameter left.  The leather honing wheel is dessicated, but whole and fairly thick.  What parts should be replaced?

Jeff Farris

Sounds like the washer that should be inside the grindstone is missing. There should be a washer on both sides of the grindstone.

On the honing wheel knob, it sounds like the brass insert in the plastic knob is slipping. This happens when the knob is abusively over-tightened. You'll have to pry it off, take the insert off with a pair of pliers, and then replace it with a new knob.

All parts are available at http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/parts.php
Jeff Farris