News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My BGM-100 dry grinder jig setup - pictures

Started by tdacon, June 17, 2014, 01:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdacon

Hello - I've just put up on Photobucket a set of pictures showing how I adapted a Tormek BGM-100 dry grinder jig to my grinder. Here's the link:

http://s736.photobucket.com/user/tdacon/slideshow/Tormek%20dry%20grinder%20adaptation

My dry grinder is a variable-speed Delta 6" grinder. My problem in mounting the jig was that I had already built a base for the grinder, set up with a pair of the very nice Veritas tool rests, and the base was too big and complicated to be easily modified for the Tormek jig (not to mention the investment in time I'd put into building it!). I'd hardly finished the grinder setup when I decided I needed the Tormek jig, to save time on reshaping woodturning tools for the lathe that a friend and I had just bought. What to do?

The pictures will show how I managed to come up with a design for a base for the Tormek jig, to sit alongside the original base on either side. Here's what's in the slide show:

1: My bare sharpening bench, with the Tormek and the dry grinder stored underneath on slide-out shelves;
2: The Tormek wet grinder (a SuperGrind, maybe about fifteen years old by now);
3: The Delta dry grinder, dressed up in all its Veritas finery;
4 and 5: right- and left-side views of the blocking with the jig mounted on it;
6: the Tormek jig set up for the right-hand wheel;
7: the Tormek jig set up for the left-hand wheel.

To place things accurately, I set the Delta grinder's base exactly flush with the front edge of the bench top. The Tormek jig's blocking is placed against the grinder base, with the bench hook underneath registered against the front of the bench.

Thanks for taking a look,
Tom

Herman Trivilino

Nice set up, Tom.  Makes my workshop look quite shabby.   :(
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Quote from: tdacon on June 17, 2014, 01:19:10 AM
Hello - I've just put up on Photobucket a set of pictures showing how I adapted a Tormek dry grinder jig to my grinder. Here's the link:

http://s736.photobucket.com/user/tdacon/slideshow/Tormek%20dry%20grinder%20adaptation

My dry grinder is a variable-speed Delta 6" grinder. My problem in mounting the jig was that I had already built a base for the grinder, set up with a pair of the very nice Veritas tool rests, and the base was too big and complicated to be easily modified for the Tormek jig (not to mention the investment in time I'd put into building it!). I'd hardly finished the grinder setup when I decided I needed the Tormek jig, to save time on reshaping woodturning tools for the lathe that a friend and I had just bought. What to do?

The pictures will show how I managed to come up with a design for a base for the Tormek jig, to sit alongside the original base on either side. Here's what's in the slide show:

1: My bare sharpening bench, with the Tormek and the dry grinder stored underneath on slide-out shelves;
2: The Tormek wet grinder (a SuperGrind, maybe about fifteen years old by now);
3: The Delta dry grinder, dressed up in all its Veritas finery;
4 and 5: right- and left-side views of the blocking with the jig mounted on it;
6: the Tormek jig set up for the right-hand wheel;
7: the Tormek jig set up for the left-hand wheel.

To place things accurately, I set the Delta grinder's base exactly flush with the front edge of the bench top. The Tormek jig's blocking is placed against the grinder base, with the bench hook underneath registered against the front of the bench.

Thanks for taking a look,
Tom

Lovely work Tom and very ingenious.  I have the BGM setup too but I just screwed it to my sharpening station.  Yours is a very portable solution - well done :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Nice job, Tom.  Well constructed, and, more importantly, well engineered!

My primitive dry grinder sep up has a white wheel (80 grit) mounted on one side with the Veritas rest and the forty something grit Norton 3X wheel on the other side.  (No BGM-100 yet).

I don't think I have used the white wheel/Veritas side since buying the tormek several years ago. I don't miss the grinding grit. The 3X wheel makes reasonably quick work of the nasties, but leaves a lot of grit.

Ken