News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek 2000 supergrind grindstone removal

Started by flylegal, April 29, 2014, 11:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flylegal

I have a Tormek 2000.  I decided to purchase a new silicon grinding wheel and the new easy-lock stainless shaft system upgrade.  The new parts installed easily but I cannot remove the old shaft from the AO grinding wheel.  It appears that it has rusted onto the shaft and bushings.  Has anyone encountered this problem?  I do not want to lose the old grinding stone as it is only worn by 1/2 inch.

Please help.

Lou Robbio

Herman Trivilino

Oh yeah.  Unfortunately I broke my grindstone trying to remove it when it was like that. 

I would recommend careful removal of the rust, and then try some of the techniques discussed near the end of this thread.  There's a hub at the center of the grindstone, and you don't want to break it free of the grindstone itself, either.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1830.msg9447#msg9447
Origin: Big Bang

jeffs55

I have never done this but how about grinding two flats onto the shaft and holding it in a vise or a wrench and turning the stone. You would have tremendous leverage turning the stone. If that did not hold the shaft well enough, then grind two sets of flats and hold the shaft with two wrenches. You could surely wedge them into something to hold them. Use WD 40 on the shaft to help loosen it. You might simply drill a hole through the shaft and turn it with a rod, a real strong rod! A much more complicated idea would be to drill into the center of the shaft and then turn it with a tap thereby breaking it loose. Of course this would require precise drilling as I would drill it in increasingly larger sizes in order to lessen the holding power of the stuck shaft. Let us know the result.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Herman Trivilino

Sacrificing the the old main shaft is good idea!  Saw it off and drill it out.

Grindstones are expensive.

Ken S

I agree with Herman about sacrificing the old shaft.  The new EZYlock design is a real improvement.  Once you convert to it, you won't ever need your old shaft again. I converted several years ago.  My memory is foggy; I don't recall if I needed to reuse any of the misc. parts with the new shaft or not.  Someone on the forum should remember.

Work slowly and carefully.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

The only part I needed was the nut that holds the drive wheel in place.

Plus, there's a good chance the old main shaft is bent, anyway.