News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

ceramic knives with the S G

Started by Ken S, Today at 04:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

John Hancock Sr

Baz is great. Love his vids. He is across town from me.

This surprises me as well. Nice to know though. Thinking about it, it will depend on the ceramic and its hardness. No doubt like steel, they will vary in hardness depending on composition.

tgbto

A little info about the knife would help.

The edge looks kinda shiny which is odd for a ceramic blade, but I lack details and might be completely mistaken.

Also, my experience with those hard blades is that they will chip on a very tiny scale instead of being sharpened. So it might be that tiny shocks against the SG might somehow grind the edge, but again, that edge looks very refined to me. I am yet so see that kind of polishing even on a stock ceramic knife.

On the other hand, I have a supposedly "tungsten carbide" knife, that I can sharpen on the SG because it actually consists in microscopic tungsten carbides embedded in a soft matrix. The matrix gets abraded, not the carbides. Maybe some ceramic knives are made in a similar fashion.