News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening a birds beak or tourne knife

Started by DG, July 17, 2013, 11:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DG

Hi all,
Can anyone advise me if it is possible to sharpen a birds beak knife, also known as a tourne knife on the tormek, and if so how.

Thanking you in advance

grepper

I've run into that same issue with any knife that has been poorly sharpened so that the center of the knife is concave towards the spine across an area less than the 2" width of the wheel.  On an old kitchen knife you could reprofile the blade to be flat, but for a bird's beak knife, well... it would no longer be a bird's beak knife.  :)

Jeff Farris

I keep a radius on the inside corner of my grindstone. I shape it with the stone grader and reshape it every time I use the truing tool. I use that to freehand anything that has a concave curve.
Jeff Farris

Ken S

Interesting idea, Jeff.  This is an example of how this forum works best. 

By the way, how do you shape/reshape the radius?

Mark, I have one of those Wobegon knives sitting on the table with my Tormek.  The poor thing is probably older than I am and has been the victim of very poor sharpening decades ago.  I keep wondering what to do with it.  It may end up a paring knife. :-\

Ken

Jeff Farris

Quote from: Ken S on July 18, 2013, 11:34:35 AM
By the way, how do you shape/reshape the radius?
Ken

With the stone grader.
Jeff Farris

JorgeNYC

Can someone tell me where a video showing a bird's beak being sharpened on a Tormek T-7 can be found. I'm new and have just obtained a 40th anniversary model machine but for the life of me cannot find any video show the proper methods of sharpening a birds beak knife, by hand or machine. Please help me. Thank you most kindly.

Jorge.