News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wheel lateral motion!

Started by violinum, February 13, 2014, 11:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

violinum

Hello,

I would like to ask if it's ok that my grinding wheel moves sideways a little (lateral movement)?  I used a TT-50 diamond jig, but it can't help to solve this problem. I checked my easy lock, everything seems to be ok. But if you look along the stone, while it is running, you can see it moves slightly right and left. (I own a T3)

jeffs55

It sounds to me like the stone has shifted on the shaft in some way. To correct, loosen the lock nut and rotate the wheel on the shaft with the shaft not moving about 1/4 turn and retighten. Turn machine on and observe the wheel. If it is now turning with no lateral motion you are good. If it is not, then loosen lock nut and rotate another 1/4 turn, tighten and observe. If this does not work, you have another 1//2 turn to work with before you are back at zero. At some point of you rotating the wheel on the shaft that is not moving, you should find the "sweet spot" wherein the wheel becomes 90 degrees perpendicular to the shaft. Of course you may reverse or advance the wheel to find this "sweet spot" and not necessarily 1/4 turn, it could be as little as 1/8 turn or less. If the wheel wobbles, then the plane of the surface of the wheel is not level to the table and you cannot make a flat edge. You must have a flat surface to make another flat surface unless you are God. That is my story and I am sticking to it! Be sure to read Hermans post below as I think that he is righter than me! LOL
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Herman Trivilino

My understanding it that the grindstone needs to be rotated relative to the washer that sits behind it.  This might be the same thing that Jeff is saying.  I'm not sure.

Also, if you can't completely remove the lateral wobble my understanding is that it won't affect performance.  In other words, a little bit of lateral wobble is tolerable.

(Edit: I just noticed that this is my 1000th post!   8) )
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Congratulations, Herman, on entering your second millennium of posts!

best wishes,

Ken

Jeff Farris

Jeff was exactly right in how to address the problem, but I want to clarify something that he seemed to be saying...if I read it right.

A little bit of lateral movement will not affect the performance once it has been trued with the TT-50 Truing Tool. The circumference of the wheel can be perfectly true without being perpendicular to the side of the stone, which is what will happen. In a perfect world, the working surface of the wheel is 90 degrees to the sidewall. If the wheel is 90.5 degrees to the axle and the working surface is 90 degrees to the sidewall, than the working surface will undulate when the machine is running. However, when the truing tool is used, the relationship to the sidewall is irrelevant in that you have cut the surface parallel to the Universal Support. If you were interested enough to measure it, you would find that working surface is 89.5 degrees to one face of the stone and 90.5 degrees to the other face, all the way around.

The long and short of it is, if the lateral movement bothers you, fiddle with the inside washer until you find the "sweet spot". Once found, true the wheel and press on. If it doesn't bother you, true the wheel and press on.
Jeff Farris

Exact Blade

Remove wheel clean shaft, gently and naturally replace and tighten according to manual.  Gently allow the USA to seat, tighten and then true.  If wheel still wobbles makes sure rubber disc under honing wheel is not damaged or nicked.  If all above checks out, get a new shaft.  I got one from affinity tool tormek dist and I solved my wobble problem and the wheel now moves within tolerance limits
Exact Blade Inc.