News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Pizza wheels

Started by Salks, February 26, 2014, 08:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salks

Does anybody know how to sharpen a pizza wheel ?

Rhino

I have never done it.  However, I have often though about just this problem.  It seems to me if you hold it in a jig for chisels, put it in slightly angled.  Like \_  instead of perpendicular, the grinding would rotate the pizza wheel and after a time, you would get a nice and sharp wheel.

The only problem with this approach is perhaps you have to do some experimenting and ruin a few wheels before figuring the right way.

For myself, my chef's knife is like a razor after going through a tormek, so I have no need for a pizza wheel.  I dropped a cheap steak knife once, the tip stuck into the wooden floor.  Everything is very sharp in my house.

Just me commenting.  I hope somebody with experience can help you.

Rob

wouldn't a really sharp pizza wheel be a little dangerous?  Would probably cut straight through the packaging if pizza not first decanted to a bread board :-)
Best.    Rob.

grepper

I've done one.  The trick is to keep rotating it while it's in contact with the wheel so you don't get a flat spot.  I didn't get a perfectly smooth, even, factory bevel, but then who cares?  It was sharp and cut pizza just fine!  After all, it's just pizza.

Herman Trivilino

That's the thing I was thinking about ... What if you get the wheel out of round?  But it still works, so that's good to know.

I also thought about somehow mounting the wheel on a drill to keep it spinning while it's in contact with the grindstone.
Origin: Big Bang

jeffs55

I'm gonna suggest that you bite the bullet and buy a new one. Seems to me that even a dull pizza cutter will break a crispy crust and it does not need to actually cut through. A limp undercooked crust might be a problem of course. The time and effort expended on this would not be worth it to me unless you just had nothing better to do.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Rob

ah...pizza ....that gives me an idea for dinner!
Best.    Rob.

grepper

I didn't really get flat spots so the wheel was lopsided or anything like that.  It's just that you can see where I started and stopped turning.  The thing is round and sharp, just not a perfectly smooth bevel.  Works great again!  Was dull, now it's sharp.