News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"German" spindle gouge sharpening

Started by Sergio, February 24, 2014, 04:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergio

Hello everybody, I have a german spindle gouge which I sharpen in the gouge grinding jig being 7/8 inch think. I'm considering buying a larger one but those cannot enter the jig that is limited to 1inch in diameter. Which solution I have?
PS: the "german" spindle gouge, which is similar to the "continental" spindle gouge, is forged from flat bar and although still manufactured and excellent in my opinion is being replaced by the usual spindle gouges in which the flute is grounded from a round stock. The characteristic of the german gouge is of having the walls of uniform thickness and with a very flat flute and a round nose, id the front cutting part. Mine is from Hamlet and here is a picture which I'm unable to post. Sorry.
Thanks.

Jeff Farris

The SVS-32 is ideal for this style gouge.
Jeff Farris

Sergio

Jeff, the SVS-32 can be used, I believe for tools with a square grind, ie perpendicular to the tool axis. The german spindle has a round cutting edge: round seen from the flute side.
Here is a link where one can see the spindle
http://www.hamletcrafttools.co.uk/spindle-gouge.html
Thanks

Jeff Farris

That's just a matter of grinding a bit more on the outside edges and a little less in the middle.
Jeff Farris