News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVD-185 Sharpening gouge with narrow flute

Started by Sisyphus, February 24, 2014, 06:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sisyphus

I bought a Tormek 2000 about 8or 10 years ago as well as a universal jig. I am not sure if it is a 180 or a 185 but it has a black pad on it which holds large gouges very well.
I have been trying to sharpen a quarter inch gouge with a narrow flute but cannot get right. I take the black pad off so as to get a grip but this does not help.  I think the problem is that the brass insert which fits inside the flute is too broad as it does not reach the bottom of the flute. The result is that the gouge is off centre and I cannot get a proper curve.
Is there a narrower insert? If not, how can I deal with this? I suppose I could file down the brass insert but this likely to make it even more off centre.

Rob

I think you just unscrew the brass insert and screw the now unbrassed screw down to nip up the tool.  If its skating about off centre you could try carefully making a dimple with a centre punch to help locate the screw dead centre.  But I may have got the wrong end of the stick ie thinking of wrong jig, not sure as I have a T7, but I did the above trick with my own very fine fluted gouge on the multi jig
Best.    Rob.

Sisyphus

Many thanks. Absolutely obvious when you look at it. I must like making difficult for myself.
Still hasn't solved my tear out problem on a piece of spalted beech but some practice should take care of that.

Thanks again.

Jeff Farris

Place the pad across the top of the flute walls. Regardless of tool size, there's some portion of the clamping pad that will fit across the flute walls.
Jeff Farris