News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

power inverter help

Started by jacktors11, July 01, 2013, 11:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: jacktors11 on July 02, 2013, 06:09:38 PM
As for run times, I usually run my Tormek about 1 hour a day. But that is turning it on and off at least 10 times a day.  I go from store to store, sharpening knives and scissors for my customers. I have a battery tender at home which i use to re-charge the battery when i  get home. But i need to have the battery last all day.

You could hook it up to your vehicle's charging system.
Origin: Big Bang

Bernard Calip

I have seen setups with Solar Array Panels and a Power Inverter, driving a Tormek T7.
They work good together.

I would get a True Sine Inverter, expensive but well worth it, for laptops.

jrg1950

I have found some real nice ones at Radio Shack if you have on close by.
Joe R. Gray

Herman Trivilino

You will likely need a good collection of batteries, too.  One battery won't last long, and a solar charger won't charge it fast enough to keep up.  Of course this depends on the amount of sharpening you're doing, but if it's a mobile sharpening operation, running out of electricity will ruin your business.

A couple of decades ago fuel cells were looking like they might be a good solution to problems like this.  You plug it into the grid at night and fill the tank with water.  During the night electricity from the grid turns the water into hydrogen storing it in a tank.  Then during the day when you're on the road and the grid is unavailable the hydrogen that you stored in the tank is combined with oxygen in the atmosphere to make electricity fast enough to run stuff and/or keep your battery charged.

I wonder what happened to that promise?
Origin: Big Bang

Bernard Calip

There are two guys here in Northern California, Monterey and Santa Cruz counties respectively.
Who use Solar panels to drive their Tormek T7, they make no Noise.
They have two Solar Panels 3x4 feet each hooked up in series.
They also use a modified sine wave inverter, I don,t know what size?
They work at the local Farmers Markets for 4 hours a day and are constantly sharpening all day.
So, I know it works.

The only issue I have is that they use a modified sine wave inverter.
I am am going to buy a True Sine Wave inverter, cost more but worth it.
I am going to use the inverter for my Travel Trailer and laptop so, that's why I want a True Sine Wave Inverter.

My Anniversary Model T7 is coming this Wednesday, can't wait.
Tormek brochure say's it runs on 200 watts.
So my two 200 watt Solar Panels should work.

Rob

what a lovely idea....sun powered T7....I like that :-)
Best.    Rob.