News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

truing the wheel with a T-diamond dresser quicker than the Tormek truing tool

Started by Rob, January 28, 2014, 05:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Well folks.  I started using one of those T shaped cheap diamond dressers to just deglaze the wheel without having to go through a full on Tormek diamond dressing tool experience.  It works an absolute charm for quick, efficient use.  Procedure is:

Slide usb to within 1mm of wheel and "rest" the t diamond dresser against the wheel exactly square. Hold it tight or the wheel will lift it off as it turns (wheel turning away from your body).  Gentle scraping/holding/grinding action and it trues and grades the wheel to "eat metal" mode in a fraction of the time it takes to setup the official dressing tool.

I doubt it's absolutely as accurate as the official tool because the calibration is done by eye.  But by holding the usb right next to the wheel it really isn't difficult to "see" its in a perfect line.  Testing it with a square and its pretty dead on.  My guess is it also might well be guilty of taking more ceramic off than the official tool.  But as a short cut when sharpening really nightmarish hard metals its a great way of bringing back the cutting action in no time at all.
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

It's a good choice when the grindstone is really glazed over but still true enough that it's not worth the time and trouble of using the truing tool.

Unfortunately, I destroyed mine using it to clean up my cheap dry grinder wheel.
Origin: Big Bang