News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My learning curve

Started by Mal55, October 14, 2013, 11:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mal55

Hi,
My T7 learning curve is going well.
I am grateful for Jeffs hint on the "how to" turning video re using a dead centre in the headstock for practicing using the skew chisel to turn beads.   I seem to be "catching" and the fact that the word can spin if it catches is good.   I'm doing something wrong with the top rest to high, to low, to far away etc.  My main problem seems to be that if I am turning a curve on the right side of a bead ,  the chisel catches and runs to the left and  vise versa.  Oh well more practice.
The finger nail shape on the gouges actually look like they are supposed too.   I did end up with points on the end but that seems be sorted now. Sometimes the cutting edges are on the wrong side so I have to work that out.
Have fun
Malcolm

Jeff Farris

Malcom,

Your catches with the skew usually come from one of two situations. Either you have the edge in contact with the wood without the bevel rubbing or you have the point of the skew involved in the cut. Concentrate on using only the lower 2/3 of the skew, keeping the tip well away from the stock and be sure you're riding the bevel.
Jeff Farris

Mal55

Thanks Jeff.
My catches seem to come on the heel of the skew causing it to run backwards across the wood.  As in your TNT video hint with the centre in the headstock, if the catch was from the point, it would stop the wood from revolving.   I guess my problem comes from having the skew too high on the wood or the tool rest too low hence too step an angle or something.
I'll have another "play" this morning.
Using the tormek to sharpen and hone, my tools are a lot lot better than they used to be.
My roughing gouge is not cutting the paper like in your video but I'm working on it.
Thanks
Malcolm