News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

CBN grinding wheels and Tormek

Started by Sergio, October 06, 2013, 02:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergio

Hello everybody,
I have a 7"dry grinding Baldor with one composite wheel and a 8" CBN 80 grit wheel I use for shaping my woodturning tools. For the final and regular sharpening I use a Tormek T7. Now i'm reading more often of CBN wheels mounted on a Tormek. The idea is that water does not damage the wheel and actually helps in the grinding process.
My question is, has anybody used a CBN on the water bath of a Tormek? I guess that the diameter will not create problems since my regular Tormek stone is less than that.
Thanks

Ken S

Interesting idea,Sergio, however, I think you might be frustrated by the 90rpm grinding speed of the Tormek.

If you can fit your CBN wheel on your Tormek, I would suggest giving it a try.  (please post the results)  The same slow RPM which might frustrate you will also make it safer to try.

I read about a new two wheel grinder recently.  It had a DC motor with variable speed from 400 to 4000 RPM.  It had turned metal wheels with CBN impregnated.  It also worked directly with the Tormek jigs.  It looked like a fine dry grinder; it also cost $1200.

Have you looked into a mister for you Baldor?

Ken

Sergio

I thought that my CBN wheel was aluminum but it is steel. I chececk with one of those rare earth magnets and it was a chore to remove it!
I gues the problem will be rusting wheels and they shoud make them of aluminum or other non rusting alloys. SS is so cheap now...
I will investigate further, but this australian website has a thread on the CBN wheels and Tormek.
http://www.woodworkforums.com

boehme

Sergio, the CBN wheel might be stainless.  A magnet is not a reliable test because many SS alloys are magnetic.  You would need to check with the manufacturer to determine whether it is stainless.

Herman Trivilino

I think what Sergio is saying is that it's attracted to the magnet and is therefore made of steel.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Herman, I believe your information about stainless steel may be outdated.  Fridge magnets stick to my "stainless" range hood.

Even if the wheels are not stainless, there is a product available which prevents tools from rusting while being sharpened by water stones. I don't remember the name.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I can't remember now what I was thinking when I wrote that.

Honerite might be the rust-proofing additive you're thinking about. I've heard of it, but never used it.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Yes, Herman, Honorite is the name I couldn't remember.

Ken

boehme

I've seen posts about Honerite, but when did rusting become a problem with water sharpening?  Or is the problem the steel CBN wheels?

I have been using a Tormek since 1999 sharpening chisels, plane irons, scissors, woodturning tools, and even a small hatchet.  Before that I used diamond "stones" in water to sharpen woodworking hand tools.  I've never seen anything rust from using plain water, but then again I don't let the tools sit in water for days.  I imagine that if rusting from using water while sharpening was actually a problem then perhaps the Tormek never would have gotten out of the starting gate.

BTW, I use a 1000 grit aluminum CBN wheel from Woodturners Wonders in plain water for most of my sharpening in addition to using the standard gray stone and the Blackstone wheel for faster sharpening on HSS turning tools.  The CBN wheel is specifically designed for use on the Tormek ... it is 10" diameter X 2" wide and has a 1" sidewall with CBN abrasive.  The bore is 12 mm.  I bought it while at the SWAT symposium where they had a special show discount price.