News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TS-740 Sharpening Station

Started by Mike Fairleigh, August 15, 2013, 07:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Fairleigh

So... who's going to be first?  ;D

I'd love to have one - I'm painfully aware of my T7 being too high and know my results would be better if I could get the machine down a bit.  But I've got a real problem with floor space in my shop.

A couple of things that I think could make it even better, just from what I see in the photos:

• I would like to have seen the entire top, including the structure (corners) be protected from corrosion by something more than just a coat of paint.  I think a heavily used station will end up with water getting in contact with welded seams.  But I'll reserve judgement about that until I see one in person.
  • It would complicate the height-adjustable aspect of the design, but making this station mobile would have been an excellent idea.  Yes it can be put on a shop-built or 3rd party mobile base, but for what I imagine this unit will cost, IMO it should be a built-in feature.
In general I think this station is a great idea.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Rhino

I agree.  Wheels would be a great feature.  I don't have a lot of space.  I also like to wheel the stuff to the family room to do it in front of the TV.  I think we are not supposed to discuss prices - but what is the official suggested retail price without discounts?  I haven't come across any info.

Herman Trivilino

The thing I noticed is that the height is adjustable by only 3 inches.  Doesn't the height of the human operators vary by a lot more than that?

It looks like a well-built unit, but I also lack the floor space. 

Norm's solution to the height issue was to build in a step at the base of the station.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

It's a clever idea.  I would like to see more specifics about it.  I have the DVD and measured drawing from New Yankee Workshop.  I have been planning to build a sharpening station which would accommodate two Tormeks.  At my age, that probably isn't practical.

However, if this unit would not require a second mortgage, it seems promising.

In the New Yankee episode, Jeff recommended against using wheels to make it portable because of the pressure sometimes involved in grinding.  No doubt it would be more stable without wheels. However, for some users the portability would be nice.  I suspect the height adjusters are a common metric thread, and could be replaced by wheels.  A simple portable base could be made up.

A simple wooden platform would be easy to build.

I look forward to seeing more information (and the price).

Ken

Herman Trivilino

This site http://www.fine-tools.com/Tormek.html has it listed at ✱€ 595.00.

That's almost $800 US.  But they don't ship outside of Germany.

That web site also has an interesting selection of Japanese water stones.

MakerUnknown

Don't know about everybody else but the Tormek is by no means the only way I sharpen things.  This seems only big enough for the Tormek and if you compliment your sharpening with other routines then you're going to need additional horizontal space right off the bat.

Is there a thread already showing sharpening areas and how people organize them?

Rhino

$800 is a bit much for my budget.  I am not saying it is not worth it - it depends on how much disposable income one has. 

But I would need to see it first - at least.  An alternative is to buy a tool chest with wheels at any of the hardware stores.  The type that has a top chest sitting on top of a bottom chest with wheels.  Maybe the bottom chest can perform the same function.

Also, if I had more than one grinding stone, I would prefer to put it in a drawer to protect it from nicks, dings, and accidental drops although I can see hanging them off the side so they can dry.

Ken S

I agree with Rhino's preference of having drawers to store the extra grinding wheels.  At least, thats my first thought.

I certainly understand that the price for this item may well be out of most of our budgets, mine included.

However, in response to Rhino's comment (probably shared by many)  "An alternative is to buy a tool chest with wheels at any of the hardware stores.  The type that has a top chest sitting on top of a bottom chest with wheels.  Maybe the bottom chest can perform the same function."

I don't think it's fair to directly compare the Tormek chest with some of the inexpensive big box store rolling chests.  Most of them have a very few drawers and a large cabinet space.  A more fair comparison would be with a multidrawer Kennedy chest.  Kennedy does not make a chest in this size.  They do make larger chests with either five, seven or eight drawers.  They are a quality product and are priced in the ball park of the Tormek chest.  I suspect a Kennedy chest in this size with six drawers would be comparable in cost.

Like Herman and probably most of the forum, I use other tools in addition to the Tormek for sharpening.  This chest seems very well designed for the Tormek.  It is compact, something well appreciated in a small shop environment.  I would need other facilities for my sharpening needs in addition to this chest.

It would be fun to see one, and probably be very tempted.  I hope Tormek will soon post more detailed dimensions, including the inside sizes of the drawers.  I would not be surprised to see "package deals".

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I'm sure it's a well-built item, and may be worth the cost to some folks.

My problem is that it's marketed at being of the right height for the Tormek machine.  With only 3 inches of vertical height adjustment it can be the right height only for people of the right height.  A lot of us are not within 3 inches of the average height of a human being.  I'm 6'2" (1.88 m) so it's likely to be too short for me.

Maybe I could get the the RB-180, that would add a little height.   ;)

Ken S

Herman,  that's  the purpose of the blocks of wood which have been collecting dust on our woodpiles.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Advanced Machinery / Sharp Tools USA announced today that it's taking pre-orders for $697 for the TS-774 Sharpening Station. 

They anticipate it shipping in late October and that it will sell out like the Small Knife Holder did recently.

It weighs in at a hefty 92 lb (42 kg).

Rhino

I think the 3 inch adjustable height refers to the screws on the legs.  For those of you wishing to make it taller, just get longer screws (within safe limits of course) or get screws attached to bigger wheels.  I would be afraid to roll it around for fear of tipping it over - it will be the end for the machine and any grinding wheels.

Poking around, I noticed that there is a 40th anniversary machine - I actually prefer the green color. 

Also, there is a metal stand for mounting the universal arm to a grinder.  No blocks of wood required.  This may be interesting - too bad I don't have a need for a grinder other than Tomek.