News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

grinding wheel slows down and stalls when grading hard

Started by Rob, August 02, 2013, 10:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Hi Folks

I think I probably know the solution to this but thought it worth checking with you.

I've been doing these old French chisels for my brother in law and I trued the stone and then graded frequently between 220 and 1000 with each new chisel.  I noticed when really leaning on the wheel which we all agreed is the right way to grade properly ie give it some welly and don't be afraid etc....I was actually able to stop my wheel rotating?

I'm thinking if I dismantle and give the drive wheel a light sanding with 220 grit paper this is likely to fix the problem right?  The goal being to increase the purchase between drive wheel and terminal assembly.
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob,

I accidentally dripped a washer into the leather honing wheel two days ago.  No big deal.  I just removed the wheel and retrieved the washer.  While I had the wheel off, I turned on the Tormek for a few seconds and lightly "roughed up" the surface of the rubber wheel with a sanding sponge.  i would suggest you try the same.  Total time involved was almost two minutes, about half of which was locating the sanding sponge.

Ken

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

I also clean the motor shaft and rubber drive wheel with mineral spirits.  The dust from the sandpaper can make the drive wheel slip.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Good thought, Herman.  I had forgotten the cleaning part.

Ken

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Jeff Farris

220 is too fine. Use 80 or 100. I'm not too keen on Herman's mineral spirits idea. I just dust off the residue with a dry paper towel. I don't want solvents of any kind around my drive wheel.
Jeff Farris

Herman Trivilino

I'll keep that in mind, Jeff.  Maybe just use some compressed air to blow off the dust.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Rob

Best.    Rob.