News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The Wet n dry team approach

Started by Rob, July 29, 2013, 07:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Well I have to say I'm very impressed with the BGM-100 for fast grinding on a dry grinder.

My brother in law is over at the moment and he kindly brought a shoe box full of the most dinged chisels I've ever seen in my life.  One had a bite out of it nearly 1/3 inch deep. Two were deeply concave.  All the backs were horrible and the bevels were miles out.  I like a challenge!!

With hindsight I should have taken before and after pics but it didn't occur to me.  Anyway, there was no way I was putting that dinged bunch on the Tormek straight off so I fired up the BGM and dry ground the 25' bevels in no time.  These things were ancient so I was careful not to overheat them.  10 minutes max and the bevels were beautifully true with the aid of the SE-76.

Now I lapped the backs on the side of the T7 and then trued the stone.  Refined the bevels and stropped after grading to 1000 grit.  Lovely mirror finishes that passed all the usual tests.  My brother in law couldn't believe it.  Anyway, he then carried on with another 5 or so while I turned a cherry bowl.  Very nice morning spent in the shop.

The combination of dry and wet for badly beaten up chisels was superb.  Fast steel removal followed by Swedish refinement...very nice.
The BGM-100 is a fabulous way to bring Tormek precision to your dry grinding.
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

mike40

Sounds great Rob. I'll have to put that on my Christmas wish list. That list keeps getting longer and longer.
Mike

Rob

I paid around £49 for mine incl shipping and I haven't regretted it for a second.
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

It paid for itself in that one session alone.  Think about how many new chisels will now not have to be purchased because you now have a box full of sharp ones.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Make that.....how few chisels my brother-in-law will have to buy!!  All I got out the deal was a worn grindstone :-)
Best.    Rob.

mike40

Good idea Rob. I'll bring my turning tools with next time I'm in London.
Mike

Rob

Most welcome Mike :-)  (I do a mean chilli con carne too)
Best.    Rob.