News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How Much Oil do you put on a NEW Honing Wheel

Started by Bernard Calip, January 17, 2014, 04:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

Sorry I don't have a video, but...

You don't need to over think this, even though everybody does, myself included when I first started.   You just don't need very much.  You don't soak the leather.  Use just a little.  Just put one, light wavy ring around the wheel and then start using honing compound.  Don't worry if it's not covering the entire surface.  Way better to use far too little than to use too much.

Really.  It's not a big deal.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2250.msg10803#msg10803

Herman Trivilino

There's oil in the grinding compound, so the extra oil you add at the beginning just saves you from having to apply and waste too much compound on a new wheel. I think it would be nice if Tormek oiled the leather at the factory.
Origin: Big Bang

Fineline

Quote from: grepper on January 20, 2015, 05:20:37 PM
Sorry I don't have a video, but...

You don't need to over think this, even though everybody does, myself included when I first started.   You just don't need very much.  You don't soak the leather.  Use just a little.  Just put one, light wavy ring around the wheel and then start using honing compound.  Don't worry if it's not covering the entire surface.  Way better to use far too little than to use too much.

Really.  It's not a big deal.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2250.msg10803#msg10803

Thanks Grepper,
Yes, it's probably not a big deal. I will leave it at that.
Cheers.

Fineline

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on January 20, 2015, 08:23:04 PM
There's oil in the grinding compound, so the extra oil you add at the beginning just saves you from having to apply and waste too much compound on a new wheel. I think it would be nice if Tormek oiled the leather at the factory.

That would be nice and if not, it would be also nice if Tormek throws in a bottle of oil.

Ken S

Joe,

Take things slowly. A little at a time will carry the day. I wish Tormek would substitute a small (measured) container with a good start of oil for the leather honing wheel instead of the plasters (bandaids for those of us on the left side of the pond).

Ken

Fineline