News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

sharpening electric clipper heads

Started by rufdaguf, July 09, 2013, 04:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rufdaguf

Does anyone out there use their tormek grinder to sharpen electric pet shears, on a regular basis?
I have used the side of the wheel and have had good results for myself and friends, but don't feel confident enough to sell the service.
I made a neat magnetic jig for holding the clipper cutter head, it works great.
I would appreciate any kind of feedback.
Thanks

Herman Trivilino

I've done it on occasion.  To be honest, I've always had bad luck with clipper blades.
Origin: Big Bang

unnervingfalcon

The SVP-80 attachment for moulding knives seems like the best bet for clipper blades.  All depends if it can hold the blade properly. I sent a message to a dealer to ask.

Herman Trivilino

That seems like it ought to work.  I would try it first with a cheap clipper blade.

unnervingfalcon

Dealer in Vancouver B.C. Canada said it won't work.

Herman Trivilino

I have tried free-handing a cheap one on the side of the Tormek grindstone.  It didn't work!

BradGE

Just came across this 7 YO thread and I was wondering if anyone has tried clipper blades now that Tormek has released diamond wheels?  I've not tried sharpening clippers before but seems to me that it would work on the side of a diamond wheel...

Thanks!

RickKrung

Quote from: unnervingfalcon on February 08, 2014, 08:38:46 PM
Dealer in Vancouver B.C. Canada said it won't work.

I'd like to hear the reasons why "it won't work"...   With the moulding knife jig, I wonder why it will not work.  Perhaps because the moulding knife really only requires the beveled edge/apex to be sharpened and that the entire flat surface, while ground using the jig, doesn't result in a perfectly flat surface, which I would think is required for the clipper blades.  That makes it seem like using the side of a diamond wheel should work. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.