News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

tormek bit sharpener for wood bits only

Started by woodman13, June 21, 2013, 11:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman13

I never gave it much thought but the way tormek sharpens drill bits they look like they might not be suitable for meatl drilling  only wood .
Am i correct its only for wood

Jeff Farris

You are most definitely NOT correct. The split point is ideal for metal drilling. It is very resistant to skating off the mark.
Jeff Farris

woodman13

good because what this thing cost i would want to use it for both.
A friend who is an expert said it was for only sharpening wood bit,and as i sharpened a 1/2 bit i tried drill 1/4 steel and it was fine
So thanks for the positive note

Ken S

Stan,

Welcome to the forum.

Not only can the Tormek DBS-22 sharpen bits for both wood and metal, it has the versatility to custom grind them for specific applications.  The jig has several settings for clearances and point angle.  This is probably overkill for most of us, but for anyone sharpening bits for different alloys, the versatility would be welcome.

As an old telephone installer, I used to sharpen my "bell hanger" bits (long bits with a hole in them for pulling wire) to a point angle of about 90 degrees instead of the customary 118 degrees.  This allowed the bits to cut very quickly through framing lumber.  i used a hand file for this back then.  Now it can be done better and more efficiently with the Tormek.

I really like the DBS-22.  Keep in mind that it does require a bit of a learning curve.  It's time well spent.

Ken