News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Shaft removal problems

Started by MakerUnknown, June 07, 2013, 06:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MakerUnknown

Jeff,
Yes, I tried that and it helped a bit but both wheels wobble.  I really think it's either the sloppy new nylon washer or I twisted the machine in my effort to free the old shaft.  Like I said, it's not too bad and I'm not tripping on it.
Paul

Mike Fairleigh

Jeff, are you saying that the runout is in the washer, or the wheel - or in both, and you're trying to find the spot where they cancel each other out?
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

MakerUnknown

It's always such a revelation putting sharp planer blades back on and realizing what you've been missing...not japanese plane polished smooth but damn close.

Jeff Farris

Quote from: KSMike on June 13, 2013, 01:53:36 AM
Jeff, are you saying that the runout is in the washer, or the wheel - or in both, and you're trying to find the spot where they cancel each other out?

The error is mostly in the stone, which is not machined (and can't be, reliably). The washers are machined, which would theoretically make my method ineffective. However, it works. I learned it from the guy that used to demonstrate Forrest saw blades at the shows. He would search for the sweet spot between blade and arbor for half an hour or so every week when he set his saw up.
Jeff Farris

Ken S

Excellent post, Jeff.  It reminds me of a story about a coworker.  He is a skilled woodworker and attended several woodworking shows.  The Forrest rep kept telling him, "I'm gonna get you."  He did.  My friend ended up buying a Forrest blade and loves it.  Quality and skill speak for themselves.

Packing and unpacking, which you have said involved removing the wheel with the old shaft; you must have spent many hours in pursuit of the sweet spot.

Those hours are one of the highlights of this forum.

Thanks,

Ken

Jeff Farris

Quote from: Ken S on June 14, 2013, 12:14:07 PM
Excellent post, Jeff.  It reminds me of a story about a coworker.  He is a skilled woodworker and attended several woodworking shows.  The Forrest rep kept telling him, "I'm gonna get you."  He did.  My friend ended up buying a Forrest blade and loves it.  Quality and skill speak for themselves.

Packing and unpacking, which you have said involved removing the wheel with the old shaft; you must have spent many hours in pursuit of the sweet spot.

Those hours are one of the highlights of this forum.

Thanks,

Ken

Actually, Ken, I tried to make sure I wasn't on the sweet spot! Lateral wobble has virtually no effect on performance, which I pointed out in my demonstration. However, when someone (potential or current owner either one) would say, "Yeah, but that's an XX hundred dollar grinder..." I would show them how to eliminate the lateral wobble in about 30 fast seconds.
Jeff Farris