News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Michelsen grind?

Started by turnedbykyle, May 14, 2013, 05:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnedbykyle

Anyone able to reproduce Johannes Michelsen's grind on the Tormek? I recently attended a class, and the instructor uses his grind. It has a small cutting bevel and the "back" of the gouge is ground away, leaving a very short bevel, and is supposedly catch proof.  I did do a search and nothing came up. I apologize if the question was asked earlier. I'm for anything that is catch proof. Yeah, probably does not exist.

TIA

Jeff Farris

Catch-proof? No. But, the grind is easily replicated on the Tormek. That's why there's a collar at the back of the pivot arm. Loosen that collar, pull it back so that the jig can slide forward, now hold it back to grind the primary bevel, then slide it forward to cut the secondary bevel.

If you get the edge in contact with the stock without the bevel riding, you'll get a catch, whether the bevel is short or long.
Jeff Farris

turnedbykyle

That is what I was thinking, but he uses a very short (45?) side angle and grinds away the bulk so the gouge can cut. If I just move the collar, then I'd just get a short bevel which is sort of what he's doing. Other than changing my basic angle from about 65 to his 45 or so...... I bid an old used gouge from e-bay, I'll start experimenting with the old gouge on this. Don't want to grind up a good gouge for no reason.

Thanks for the reply!