News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Availability of SVP-80

Started by Tony, July 21, 2005, 02:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Jeff,

I have been watching for some time for the SVP-80 moulding knife jig to become available through you.  Could you give me an idea when it will be available and what the price will be.

Thanks.

Tony

Jeff Farris

The SVP-80 is in stock now at a price of $109.95.  You can phone your order now.  It will be on our website within a few weeks.
Jeff Farris

tempstor

not that i use it or anything but i wanted to know if it is working correctly now?. i heard that this jig only works correctly on the european version of the tormek (whateven that means... is it really that different)    

Jeff Farris

You heard wrong.  It only works on European style profiled shaper cutters.  It works on any TORMEK, but its application is for a cutter design that is not widely distributed in the USA.
Jeff Farris

sundivellc

One of the reasons I purchased the Tormek was to be able to sharpen my shaper cutter knives. I looked at the specs on this jig and I thought it would work. I have a CMT shaper cutter head that accepts 24mm hole patterns. Examples are seen here http://www.cheyennesales.com/catalog/cmtstockcutters.htm

Since it wasn't my only reason (man those are some sharp chisels), I won't be too disappointed if this jig wont work with my shaper cutters but I'd like to make sure before I spend the bucks.

If it does work, is the price still the same as in the thread above? Do you have a storefront in grandview? I didn't realize you were local until I started poking around the site more. I'm north of KC just a bit.

Jeff Farris

Sundive, those are exactly the cutters that the SVP-80 is designed to sharpen. The price is $109.95 and we have it in stock and ready to ship.  

I'd like to know where on our site you found our old location.  I have tried to update everything with our new address, but there are a lot of pages (some of which I don't visit often).  Our new location is in Brighton, MO -- just north of Springfield.  
Jeff Farris

sundivellc

After I wrote that, I looked at your address again and I couldn't find Grandview. If I come across it, I'll let you know. I'll submit my order for the jig.

As a follow up, it appears I lap the flat side of the cutter and not mess with the bevel at all. So I assume that means the profile is safe. What I assume that means is the thickness of the cutter is decreased each time it's sharpened. I looked at the instructions for it but it wasn't very detailed.

Have you used that jig and if so do you recomend it?

Jeff Farris

You're right about working only on the flat side.

I have used it and it is very effective and easy to use. I wish they would modify the blade holder so that it would work with other tools so that I could more actively promote the product in the USA.

No problems with thinning the cutters -- to a point. The wedge shaped gibs will compensate for the difference in thickness for many, many sharpenings.
Jeff Farris