News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Hillbilly adjustable swivel work table

Started by Elden, March 29, 2013, 03:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

Here are some pictures of the apparatus that I have fixed up to allow the raising and lowering of the working height of the Tormek. Also shown is the swivel table.

See photo #1
The swivel table is mounted on a Mojack lawnmower lift that I already had on hand for the ZTR mower. The old forklift wheel serves as a counterbalance.
The table is at my working level, but can be raised quite a bit higher.

See photo #2
A carriage bolt, with the treads cut off, serves as the locating pin for the swiveling table.

See photo #3
The locating pin is located on the honing wheel side of the table so that it can be reached without removing the Tormek from the table or removing the water trough. Here it is shown with the table orientated so the honing wheel would be on the operators left if the Tormek was present. The pin drops into a different locating hole underneath the table than was used in previous pictures.

See photo #4
The arm that the table is mounted on can slide out of the Mojack. It also can pinned so that it can be used at an extended position to allow more foot room. The straps on the sides of the table are positioned so as to keep the Tormek from slipping off the table.

See photo #5
The underneath side of the table.

See photo #6
Edge view of the swivel that came from a swivel kitchen chair.  It really needs to be taken apart and repaired as the keeper for the ball bearings has come partly out allowing the bearings to move from their spaced out positions. However, it rotates beautifully.

See photo #7
Entire unit with table spun 90 degrees from either working position.

See photo#8
Tormek in position with operator in approximate working position.

Edit 09/15/2017: This post originally was a little longer and had two more pictures. The pictures were hosted by Photo Bucket. As they stopped us using those pictures here on the forum, I am posting the same pictures using the forum's attachment capabilities. As no more than 8 pictures can be posted in a post, the rest of the original post will be located at the bottom of my second post in this thread.
Elden

Ken S

Nice rig, Elden. Clever!

I have a beloved ancient set of Popular Mechanics Home Workship Encyclopedias,,,,twelve volumes in red.
I am pleased to see that what I call "the 1940s Popular Mechanics Workshop" mentality still persists. 
Keep up the good work.

Ken

ps  I was skeptical about the revolving base, but have since become a believer.  Does your base revolve, either store bought or home crafter?

Elden

Ken, yes it does. It utilizes a kitchen chair swivel. The wooden table is bolted to one side and a couple pieces of light angle iron with straps welded to them, is bolted on the the other side. See the 5th and 6th pictures.
Ken, we always kind of thought of it as "farmer mentality." They always said, "you can take the boy off the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the boy!"

Edit 09/15/2017

Here is the conclusion of my first post in this thread:

See photo #1 below
Grinding position. Photo #8 above shows the view of grinding position from close to the operator's perspective.

See photo#2 below
Honing position.

One further improvement will be to put some adjustable leveling feet on the front end of the Mojack.
Elden

Mike Fairleigh

Downright ingenious!  Nice job.  NOBODY knows how to get stuff done like a farm boy.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Elden

Thanks Mike and many thanks for your previous posts on using Photobucket! That made it easy.
Elden