News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

leather honing wheel

Started by fraseman999, March 16, 2013, 12:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraseman999

Hi Folks,

When i bought the T7, i read that you are supposed to put a little machine oil on the leather. I also read a few people put too much on and had problems. So i suppose i was a title bit liberal when i put it on. Just a couple of drops. As a result it is a little dry and powdery.

Can i drop more oil on it? Or is there anything else i can do. All the videos that i have seen, show the honing paste going around the whole circumference, with me it just comes out in a small blob and i have to put my finger on it too spread it.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

John

Herman Trivilino

Sounds to me like it needs more oil.  Mineral oil if you have it.

The problems people have had in the past are due repeated oilings.  You're only supposed to do it when it's new as a one-time break-in of the leather.
Origin: Big Bang

Mike Fairleigh

I'm one of the over-oilers.  My advice is to add only a very few drops of mineral oil at a time, and let that soak in for a few days before deciding it needs any more.  On the compound, hold the end of the tube right up very close to the leather while you squeeze the tube, that helps it adhere to the leather.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Ken S

Tormek could solve the problem by including a pre measured package of oil.  Restaurants do this all the time with condiments and salad dressings. 

The problem with purchasing mineral oil at the drug store is the quantity.  I bought a pint.  It would probably serve all the new Tormek owners for a couple years.

I believe there is some latitude between too much and not enough oil.  If the factory included a pre measured package of oil for initial use, that would solve this problem.  Replacement leather wheels and the accessory shaped wheels should come with oil, also.  (Are you reading this, Tormek AB?)

Should this prove too costly, a red piece of paper with a warning, OIL THE LEATHER WHEEL BEFORE FIRST USE --ONLY-- WITH X QUANTITY OF MINERAL OIL. DO NOT OVEROIL.  should do the trick.

In fact, we could even put that warning in the sticky first message.  IT COULD BE PRINTED LIKE THIS!

KEN
(sorry, I tried to get back to normal font)

Ken S

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on March 16, 2013, 12:50:36 PM
The problem with purchasing mineral oil at the drug store is the quantity.  I bought a pint.  It would probably serve all the new Tormek owners for a couple years.

Ken, you can also use mineral oil to condition your kitchen knife handles.  I like to put some on mine before I sharpen them, while they're still clean.

Ken S

Black Mamba

You guys may want to consider using a product I use all the time in my scissor sharpening business. It's called Wahl Clipper Oil. It's carried by all hair salon supply houses. Locally, I get mine at a company called Sally's. You can get it in a 4 oz. plastic bottle that has a handy, pointed application nozzle. I used it on my honing wheel and it worked great. I started out using it sparingly ( I had read of over-oiling issues on the forum ) and worked my way up to the proper saturation level.

Tom

nobby1967

I used machine oil used on sewing machines and alike don't tell Mrs

Herman Trivilino

Ken, I acquired a liter bottle of mineral oil probably ten years ago and it's still nearly full.