News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Tips Tricks and Techniques Beginners Start Here!

Started by Ken S, March 11, 2013, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

First: what are CBN grinding wheels?

Second: I read that diamond grinding wheels can also be used dry, but how long do they last? With water, approximately, how many sharpenings can they withstand?

Third: is there a coarser grinding wheel (stone or diamond) that allows you to make the first roughing (especially when the blade is very damaged) and allow the finer ones to last longer?

CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) wheels are made of CBN, the second hardest material.Only diamond is harder. Both diamond and CBN wheels are considered superabrasives and generally. ut faster and harder steel than conventionalgrinding wheels. While not identical, they can usually be used interchangeably. Tormek recommends startng with the SG grinding wheel.

In imy,opinion, neither diamond or CBN wheels should be used dry. In addition to keeping the toolsrust free, ACC solution prevents grinding dust, runs cooler, and keeps the grinding wheel much cleaner. How long weither diamond or CBN wheels last is largely determined by careful use (light pressure whn grinding).

The coarsest diamnd wheel is the DC-250. the coarsest regular wheel is the SB-250 blackstone. Neither of these wheels is designed for a fine, smooth cut. The finst cut diamond wheel is the DE-250. The finst cut regular wheel is the SJ-4000 Japanese wheel, followed by the SG-250 graded fine.

I suggest you check on the Tormek website (tormek.com). The xcellnt handbok is available ias a free download in sixteen different languages when you register your Tormek.

Keep us posted.

Ken

Thank you and have a good continuation of the evening.

geppetto425@gmail.com

Took me 10 mins to figure out how to post! If this isn't the right forum I'm sorry. This site is difficult to navigate
So I have an older Tormek Super Grind 2000. I want to replace the smaller rubber wheel with a CBC 80 grit, and keep the larger white dressing wheel for now. I just need a source for a wheel that someone could recommend. I want to make sure it will fit!
I'd send don't photos but it says they're too large.... Sheesh
😎

RickKrung

Hopefully, with some time you'll find the site easier to navigate.  As far as where to post it, you are pretty close.  "General Tormek Questions" would be where I would put it.  One level higher than this subfolder ("Tips and Tricks...").  I know nothing about the 2000 so I won't try to help with your primary question.  Spend some time exploring the different topic specific subforums to get a feel for the types of things discussed in each.  You'll get the hang of it. 

As for picture sizes, given that most photos we take these days are high in pixel count, they are typically several MegaBytes in file size and LOTS of pixels.  For example, my phone take images with 3042 x 4032 pixels and are about 8 MB.  Many forums restrict the file size so as to not overload storage, etc.  I find it most convenient to reduce the pixel size from the native size to 640 x 480, which on this forum display large but do not spill over the width of the frame in which messages are displayed.  I use third-party utility programs to do that downsizing.  I have no idea how you take photos or what utilities you might have for reducing file size / pixel density, so if you are not familiar with this sort of thing, is there anyone you know that can assist you? 

This photo is 640x480 and 117 KB in file size.  Shown immediately below it has been "inserted" into the text and takes up about half of the window width on my display.  Further down, is the "thumbnail" as photos will be shown that have been uploaded but not "inserted".  If your photo is much larger, viewers may have to scroll over to see all of the content.

Rick

You cannot view this attachment.

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.