News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Tips Tricks and Techniques Beginners Start Here!

Started by Ken S, March 11, 2013, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill2455

Hello All

My name is Bill. I thought this would be the appropriate place for my first post. I've not purchased my T-8 yet but am saving towards it. I have plans to open a small sharpening business when I retire in a few years and the T-8 is on my kit list. I've been quite proficient at sharpening a wide variety of tools, knives, blades, chainsaws etc. for myself and others since very young thanks to my father's influence who would always take the time to sharpen a tool rather than try to use it dull. I'm almost always surprised by what some people think is sharp and they are almost always surprised when I give something back to them that I've sharpened.

I've used a variety of stones, papers, grinders and fixed angle jigs over the years and can't shake the urge to try something like the T-8. As a youngster I used to use an old treadle powered wet stone to sharpen freehand hatchets, axes, lawnmower blades and knives and became pretty proficient. I see the Tormek machines as the equivalent to the "Space Shuttle" as compared to the old treadle powered wet stone. With all the jigs, accessories, user mods, videos and expert user advice available for the Tormek machines I'm sure it will become an invaluable addition to my kit.

I tend to research the heck out of something before I jump in so I've got a lot of reading and learning from others to do here on the forum while saving for my own!
Never forget where you came from. Some day you might have to go back.

John_B

Welcome to the forum Bill. You will find that the members her are always available to answer your questions. The T-8 is a great tool that I think you will enjoy using.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Bill, welcome to the forum.

I like your long term planning. Your lifelong sharpening experience will serve you well learning the Tormek. Over the years I have seen too many posts from enthusiastic (probably younger) members with itchy credit cards and very little Tormek or sharpening knowledge.

Deciding to purchase a Tormek is an investment worthy of serious thought. Compared to other tools of similar quality, like Starrett, Lie-Nielsen, or Baldor, Tormek is not over priced. However, neither is it inexpensive. One early item I would highly recommend for you is "Sharpening School" by Steve Bottorff (sharpeningmadeeasy.com). Steve ran a successful sharpening business for many years. He also taught one on one. Before he retired, he made a professional quality DVD designed continue his teaching. This is an invaluable, must have resource for anyone wanting to start a sharpening business. Steve is my friend and mentor; you won't find a better coach.

Keep posting!

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: Bill2455 on January 19, 2020, 02:31:46 PM
Hello All

My name is Bill. I thought this would be the appropriate place for my first post. I've not purchased my T-8 yet but am saving towards it. I have plans to open a small sharpening business when I retire in a few years and the T-8 is on my kit list. I've been quite proficient at sharpening a wide variety of tools, knives, blades, chainsaws etc. for myself and others since very young thanks to my father's influence who would always take the time to sharpen a tool rather than try to use it dull. I'm almost always surprised by what some people think is sharp and they are almost always surprised when I give something back to them that I've sharpened.

I've used a variety of stones, papers, grinders and fixed angle jigs over the years and can't shake the urge to try something like the T-8. As a youngster I used to use an old treadle powered wet stone to sharpen freehand hatchets, axes, lawnmower blades and knives and became pretty proficient. I see the Tormek machines as the equivalent to the "Space Shuttle" as compared to the old treadle powered wet stone. With all the jigs, accessories, user mods, videos and expert user advice available for the Tormek machines I'm sure it will become an invaluable addition to my kit.

I tend to research the heck out of something before I jump in so I've got a lot of reading and learning from others to do here on the forum while saving for my own!

Bill,

Pay particular attention to those by Dr. Vadim Kraichuk ("Wootz" on the forum).  He has a shop in Australia called KnifeGrinders (http://knifegrinders.com.au/ ).  He has a sharpening business, and has done a LOT of research on how to sharpen most effectively and efficiently.

Good luck,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Michael L

Thank you Ken S. I am reading your post for beginners. I sure am a beginner. I look forward to learning this whole new learning experience. I am totally open with suggestions, constructive critisism, and whatever else.  I suspect the people in this group are very helpful, and most of all? I hope I can help someone too. My spelling is pretty bad lol... Thank you for having me. I am a 100% disabled veteran. Sometimes I can't make it down to the shop due to my disabilities, and quite often unfortunately I misread things at times. Just letting yall know, that I didn't mean too. Apologizing right up front, things confuse me easily.  :-) I'm also known as The Lazy WoodWorker. TLWW. I should have used that as my login name, dang it LOL
Keep Making Sawdust

RickKrung

Welcome, TLWW ;D 

I think you'll like it here.  So much information and over the top helpful people.  And I think far easier to share information, especially photos.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Michael.

One of the many things I like about this forum is that we all have different life experiences. None of us left the womb knowing everything about Tormek sharpening, however, by working together, we all benefit.

Ken

Michael L

Thank you Rick and Ken. Great to be here. I look forward to searching the wisdom of the many turner in here.
Keep Making Sawdust

RickKrung

Quote from: Michael L on January 23, 2020, 02:01:42 PM
Thank you Rick and Ken. Great to be here. I look forward to searching the wisdom of the many turner in here.

I like your signature.  I've expressed something similar in regard to metal working, but it applies to woodworking:

"Making chips out of good metal"

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Michael L

Hi Ken. Would you happen to have the link for the bevel angle calculator link? Andy videos on hot to use it? You use it if you want to put an additional bevel/cutting angle on a tool right? Tyvm...M
Keep Making Sawdust

Ken S

Michael,

Here is a link to my original source which provided the math for my kenjig.

http://knifegrinders.com.au/Manuals/Grinding_Angle_Adjustment_Booklet.pdf

If you google "kenjig instructions"  you will find the illustrated pdf I wrote for the forum.

As for other calculator links, I am not the right person to ask. Others are better qualified to help with that. However, I really believe you will be better off sticking with the basic Tormek technique until you have mastered it. If the Anglemaster is difficult, use the black marker technique.

Do not become discouraged.

Ken

Dutchman

Quote from: Ken S on January 24, 2020, 03:04:52 PM
Michael,

Here is a link to my original source which provided the math for my kenjig.

http://knifegrinders.com.au/Manuals/Grinding_Angle_Adjustment_Booklet.pdf

If you google "kenjig instructions"  you will find the illustrated pdf I wrote for the forum.
Ken and Michael, that link refers to an unusable file with cut pages.
Moreover, it is not the original source that is updated if desired.
Please look at the links in my signature below

Jan

Quote from: Michael L on January 24, 2020, 04:29:30 AM
Hi Ken. Would you happen to have the link for the bevel angle calculator link?

Michael, in my thinking, the best available calculator is TormekCalc which was recently upgraded to TormekCalc2.

TormekCalc2 programmed by JVH is a professionally made Excel spreadsheet which offers all what a Tormeker may need and even more. It is sophisticated script supplemented with perfect explanatory drawings.

It is here: https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4181.msg29509#new

Jan

Ken S

Michael,

I am concerned that your beginner's enthusiasm will be your undoing with the Tormek. With your military memory loss, I believe the most effective angle setting technique for you is using a Sharpie marker. This is proven, simple and direct. It is also in regular use by many sharpening experts.

You can learn to become proficient in sharpening. By stripping down set up to the most basic level, you can focus on the actual grinding. With practice, like all of us, you will become proficient.

Please do not misunderstand me. These setting programs are marvelous. In my opinion, they have advanced sharpening even further than even Tormek thought was possible. However, beginners forget that our members who have designed these programs have decades of math experience as well as years of sharpening experience.

Michael, I urge you to forget about all of these advanced programs and concentrate on basic sharpening.

Ken

The batsman

I bought a T8 following quite extensive research into different systems and methodology's. One of the benefits I could see was the wealth of information on this forum. I think it natural that people want the best possible results from their sharpening.
That said I have no intention of buying any other stones or paper wheels etc as the results I have achieved so far I'm happy with.
I use a modified version of the Kenjig just to speed up setting up the machine. I have 3 templates cut to create different angles. One side of the template is to set the height of the USB to  the  stone, the other side to set the height from the USB to the leather wheel.
I used a calculator that was posted on here to get the measurements and laser cut the templates for accuracy. So I would like to thank you all for being so generous with your knowledge.

I am a woodwork teacher at a school so sharpen a range of  tools and other peoples' knives.