News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Ionut's Small Knife Jig

Started by Herman Trivilino, March 10, 2013, 09:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

Regardless of all that verbiage and complication, Herman's simple tool rest is quick and easy to use tool to have in the arsenal that extends the usefulness of the machine to a wider array of sharpening applications.  A machete is a good example.

Ken S

Mark, verbiage and complication make the world go round. ;D

On a more useful note, I think someone making one of Herman's HK-50s (or HK-40s) would be wise to make a jig for drilling the holes accurately into the platform. I believe Herman's jig has many uses beyond small knives (and machetes). By using a hole jig, future platforms could easily be interchanged with the original, the raised secondary platform for short chisels being an example. I can envision someone having half a dozen interchangeable platforms for the scissors jig platform.

Ken

stevebot

Two other things that are somewhat obvious:
3: the tongue must be long enough to permit low angles, preferably 10 or 12 degrees
4: the knob must be on the right side to be accessibility.

Home improvement stores carry 2" x 1/4" Al stock that makes a nice tongue.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on June 09, 2015, 05:23:27 PM
By using a hole jig, future platforms could easily be interchanged with the original, the raised secondary platform for short chisels being an example.

The scissors jig base makes a perfectly good jig for drilling holes in newly made platforms. Just use the threaded holes in the scissors base to guide a much smaller drill bit into the new platform, making pilot holes. Then you can widen the pilot holes to the desired diameter.
Origin: Big Bang

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: grepper on June 09, 2015, 04:48:30 PM
Regardless of all that verbiage and complication, Herman's simple tool rest is quick and easy to use tool to have in the arsenal that extends the usefulness of the machine to a wider array of sharpening applications.  A machete is a good example.

I agree, Mark. I use mine to sharpen a variety of items, but my favorite is still the knives I use every day. Pocket knives and kitchen knives. It's just so much easier to set the edge angle and go. If I have several knives to sharpen, all at the same edge angle, I don't have to adjust the jig in between knives.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

This is a topic which needs to be kept readily available. The small platform is a very useful, versatile tool. I think every serious Tormek sharpener, especially knife sharpeners, should make one. I have never understood why Tormek does not make one.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on September 04, 2020, 05:32:32 PM
This is a topic which needs to be kept readily available. The small platform is a very useful, versatile tool. I think every serious Tormek sharpener, especially knife sharpeners, should make one. I have never understood why Tormek does not make one.

Ken

Pin it to the top! ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

ABall

If anyone is looking for reasonably priced Aluminium flat bar I have just purchased 2" wide by 1" thick and 200mm long from ebay for £13.40 with free delivery, they dont seem to do free for everywhere and the auction suggests they only deliver to local addresses but I just messaged them, (its 23.40) and they got back to me straight away saying my postcode is free delivery and Im in Reading. Ok this is one for UK members only. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201367237820

Ken S

Alan,

For the "diving board" part of the small platform, 1/8" is plenty thick. I suggest mounting the diving board on the scissors jig platform. As shown in this video, the scissors jig platform has Tormek's patented Torlock, which holds the platform much more securely.

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/svx-150-scissors-jig

Ken

Ken S

ABall

Quote from: Ken S on September 16, 2020, 02:33:25 AM
Alan,

For the "diving board" part of the small platform, 1/8" is plenty thick. I suggest mounting the diving board on the scissors jig platform. As shown in this video, the scissors jig platform has Tormek's patented Torlock, which holds the platform much more securely.

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/svx-150-scissors-jig

Ken

Thanks Ken, I have the scissor Jig, I went for 1" because of my Leathermans, they have a 3/4" step which I thought would hit jig. I took the blade out of the last one I did against there recommendation and it was a bloody PITA to get it all back together, it was worth it but i blunted it the next day cutting wire wool so im looking for a faster option....