News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SG-250 clogging / cleaning

Started by MerryMadMick, Yesterday at 05:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MerryMadMick

Hello,

I've started resetting the primary bevels on my plane irons and chisels, mainly due to creeping skew from years of hand sharpening.  I picked up a Tormek bench grinder adapter + wolverine plate so I can use my 8" low speed with a 180 CBN for quick material removal, then I move over to the Tormek for final sharpening and honing.

I've noticed that the SG-250 clogs/looses it's cutting speed pretty quick when sharpening PM-V11 and A2 steels.  After about a minute or so the wheel looses its bite and I redress with the coarse side of the grading stone.
 There is, of course, a slight difference in the radius of the hollow grind between the 8" CBN and 10" SG-250 which means I'll be using the SG-250 to remove a bit more material to match radii.

I realize that after I'm done, I won't be resetting any primary bevels for a long time and, in theory, I'll only need to touch up the edge on the strop wheel on sharpening day.  That being said, for these harder steels, would I be better served with a different wheel?

Thank you.

RichColvin

The SB-250 was designed for harder steels.  You might want to get one of those if you're going to be sharpening such metals often. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.