News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Scary sharpening

Started by nobby1967, March 08, 2013, 10:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nobby1967

Bought a new set of chisel, couple of plane Irons, and scary kit. did cheat a little on backs used trend diamond plate to help get rid of grind marks on backs. Ground bevels back a little with T7 1000 grade just to make sure got good metal. I used 40,30,5,0.3 micron films on backs as well as micro bevel very sharp indeed. ::)

Ken S

I would think so!  I used to do all that with oil stones, much more hard work than the new abrasives.  That's the main reason I bought a Tormek.

By the way, I think that Trend diamond plate would be good for freshening up oilstones.

Keep us posted.

Ken

nobby1967

I have two trend diamond plate whetstones one is extra course 8" @ 75 micron 220g the other a double sided 7" one side 50 micron 340g the other 11micron 1000g.
I did try and flatten one of my old oil stones with the extra course whetstone. Very hard work indeed and still did not flatten oil stone better but not perfect. Also caused a bit of damage to whetstone :(

Ken S

Mark, this you tube may interest you.  I have found better sources for Larry Williams' sharpening technique.  (I will look more when time permits.)  Larry Williams is certainly as expert as they get.  He presents a different option than is common today.

Ken