News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

user error...me...

Started by ba-doyn, June 29, 2005, 07:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ba-doyn

Jeff,

Do you offer classes on how to properly use the Tormek? I've been trying to work with it and I can't seem to get the results I want. I'm sure it's me not getting it right as I've seen you in person make it work properly. I really want to make better use of this as I feel it's a great machine.

How far are you from St. Louis? Do you make it up here? I'll buy dinner for a few lessons. :)

Thanks,
Michael

Jeff Farris

We're right outside of Springfield.  We don't have formal classes, but if you're down this way, I'll be glad to help.

If you have specific issues or questions, post them here.
Jeff Farris

ba-doyn

Hmmm. I'm going to be at Tablerock Lake from July 15-20th. I might be able to swing by.

As for specific issues...I have a bunch of them.  :)

I can't seem to get an even edge on my irons...I think the stone was not flat so I used the grader and I'm almost positive it's not flat now. :)

As you can see, I believe it's just user error and some hands-on would probably clear up a bunch for me. I'm a quick learner.

Thanks,
Michael

Jeff Farris

Wide plane irons can be tricky.  The natural tendency is to move back and forth with a normal sort of 3-4 inch stroke.  That is going to get you in trouble.  The left edge of the iron leaves the grindstone and the right edge of the iron leaves the grindstone, but the center of the iron never gets a break.  The result is a concave edge on your iron.  The proper stroke on an iron takes the left edge of the iron all the way to the extreme right side of the stone and the right edge of the iron all the way to the extreme left side of the stone. Keep a small try square handy when you are grinding irons and check them frequently, making any necessary adjustments to grinding pressure and area of concentration.

If your problem is squareness, rather than straightness of the edge, please read this:

Keeping Your Edges Square
Jeff Farris

ba-doyn

Great. I'll give it a try.

Michael

Honer

I can't get an edge on my irons either.
But I think a couple of lessons and some time on the driving range will help!

;D ;D

ba-doyn

Actually, you should see my slice!