News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

To scissor jig or not to scissor jig....that is the question?

Started by Rob, February 26, 2013, 09:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Fairleigh

Jeff, I remember that episode!  Very cool to hear the back story on it.

Ken, don't buy an axe... unless you're OK with buying more, because axes are like potato chips.  I'm in the market for my 2nd rehab right now.  I'm looking for a True Temper Kelly jersey pattern.

(Full disclosure, my axes are the one thing so far that I don't sharpen on the Tormek).
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Mike Fairleigh

That video is what got me interested in axes in the first place.  Bernie isn't just an entertaining fellow, he seriously knows his stuff when it comes to historic preservation (check out his other internal training videos that are on youtube).  Unfortunately he's now retired (I tried to contact him with a question at his last post assignment).  If you watch that video 10 times, you'll see something new (and important) in it each time.

Also, there's a downloadable PDF document that goes with the video.  Actually I think the video was made as an abbreviated companion to the document; the document includes a ton more detail, as well as a template for an axe edge shaping guide.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Jeff Farris

Mike, did I see in another thread that you were looking at the MultiTool? That's a fine machine for both rehabilitation and sharpening of axes.
Jeff Farris

Ken S

Bravo, Jeff!

Incidentally, I have the DVD and drawing for that episode.  It was good purchase.  I also remember you post that you put all the drawers on one side of the work station.

Good story.

Ken

Mike Fairleigh

I don't recall mentioning the Multi-Tool, but I'll check it out.  My approach thus far has been a vinegar soak followed by the wire wheel (I swear that's the most-used tool in my shop), and then files (I relieved the local Lowe's of their last remaining US-made Nicholsons), and finally a Lansky puck.

The final sharpening/honing has proven to be the most challenging part, mostly because of wanting to maintain the convex edge.  Many use sandpaper over an old mouse pad on a granite plate, and that might be my next experiment.  But I think in my case the biggest problem is simply lack of practice with the puck.  Those guys felling 25'-diameter fir trees while standing on jacks didn't tote granite plates and mouse pads around with them, so apparently they aren't necessary. :)
Mike

Ken S

Mike, check out the Multitool on sharptoolusa's site.  If I didn't already have a good belt grinder I would add it to my want list.  It looks like a very solid product.

Ken

Mike Fairleigh

Thanks Ken, I'll check it out.

What I'd really like to add to the shop is a KMG variable speed DC belt grinder with the slack belt fixture.  The $2K+ price tag is a bit of a sticking point.  :o
Mike

Elden

Quote from: Jeff Farris on February 27, 2013, 01:25:31 AM
After a while I also realized that the scissor jig is one of the better values in the jig line-up, because the support plate can be used as a general purpose tool rest.

Jeff, is there an advantage in the base plate of the scissors jig over the SVD- 110 tool rest? It appears to be a little narrower in the picture which could be advantageous at times.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

I've got a copy of that episode on VHS and I've been meaning to transfer it to DVD.  I saw it when it aired, then again a couple of years later in reruns.  That was what led me to purchase the Tormek.

Anyway, I doubt you could free hand scissors.  But it would cost you nothing to try as there are lots of cheap scissors just about anywhere you look.

I agree with Jeff that the platform of the scissors jig is useful for many other purposes.  It's probably the reason I've never bought the tool rest.

My daughter-in-law is a hair stylist.  I would never dream of even trying to sharpen her expensive shears on my Tormek.  You could buy a Tormek for the cost of two or three of those shears.
Origin: Big Bang

grepper

Herman, maybe even 2 or 3 Tormeks for the price of the scissors!

http://diamondroseshears.com/diamond-series/

I presume these are, or had better be, the most spectacularly wonderful shears.

Personally, I think anyone who would pay that much for scissors is....

Herman Trivilino

Wow!  I just can't imagine anyone paying that much but I'll ask my daughter-in-law if she knows anyone who has.  And why!
Origin: Big Bang

Black Mamba

I've used the scissor jig with great success on household scissors. As opposed to doing knives where I prefer to work away from the edge, when using the scissor jig I work into the edge. I seem to get better results that way. Slow and easy is the key to getting good results.

As I once mentioned on another thread, the main thrust of my business is the sharpening of salon shears. That's a whole different world from any other type of sharpening I do. I kind of chuckled at Herman's remarks about the cost of some salon shears. Just last week, I set a new personal record for the cost of a pair of shears I was sharpening.....$4,000. Prior to that, $3,500 was the high for me. These are extreme examples but it's fairly routine for me to service shears costing $500 to $1,000 and those in the $1,000 to $2,000 range are becoming much more common.

As I, and others, have mentioned previously, the Tormek machine is woefully inadequate for use on these salon shears. By the same token, the specialized equipment I use for the salon work is pretty much useless in any other sort of sharpening.

An interesting note....in the world of hair stylists and salons, the terms "scissors" and "shears" are used interchangeably. I do it myself but find I use the term " shears " more frequently. By strict definition, though, all these tools are technically scissors.

Tom

Mike Fairleigh

One of my grandfathers was a farmer and a barber his whole life.  I can guarantee you that his house and his first few cars combined didn't cost that much, even adjusted for inflation.

But I have no doubt they are incredible - uh, instruments.
Mike

Jeff Farris

Quote from: kb0rvo on February 27, 2013, 02:31:34 AM
Quote from: Jeff Farris on February 27, 2013, 01:25:31 AM
After a while I also realized that the scissor jig is one of the better values in the jig line-up, because the support plate can be used as a general purpose tool rest.

Jeff, is there an advantage in the base plate of the scissors jig over the SVD- 110 tool rest? It appears to be a little narrower in the picture which could be advantageous at times.

No advantage, except on short tools, but no reason to duplicate with the SVD-110, if you have the SVX-150.
Jeff Farris