News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Verdict on the SG-250 Blackstone silicon Wheel

Started by Rob, February 25, 2013, 10:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Well folks

I installed the blackstone and ground a factory fresh HSS deep flute bowl gouge to a good fingernail grind. Specifically to jig setting 4 (55deg)' protrusion 65mm, hole A on the tts.

So not quite Ellsworth but a good deep fingernail grind. The blackstone had the wings a good 3/8" back in no time. Total grind time to back on the lathe from out of the sleeve was about 12 minutes.

Not bad at all. I wore high magnification reading glasses and could see the steel flying off the tool. I'm happy again :-)

I still have a realistic expectation for modest speed on the planar blades but that will be the next test.  Was really chuffed with its first tour though

Rob
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

grepper

I bet planer blades are next, but if you get a chance I'd be interested on how it works on regular steel.  Is it too aggressive? (The product info says no).  Any disadvantages?  Like we were talking about in the other thread, it's claimed to offer "exceptional wear resistance".

I've got some knives that are really tough stainless and resist sharpening.  I can get 'em sharp, it's just a lot of grinding and pressure.  I wonder how it would work on that those.

Hmm...  I wonder if it excessively wears on the truing tool?

Thanks for letting us know about your progress! 

Herman Trivilino

I read somewhere that these harder steel knives are typically sharpened on wet stones only, no leather stropping.

A sushi chef told me that he sharpens his knife every night using just a wet stone.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Incidentally, on a purely aesthetic level, the blackstone looks very sleek in its dark livery  ???  Go faster stripes are all it needs to "pimp my Tormek"
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Quote from: grepper on February 26, 2013, 01:29:15 AM
I bet planer blades are next, but if you get a chance I'd be interested on how it works on regular steel.  Is it too aggressive? (The product info says no).  Any disadvantages?  Like we were talking about in the other thread, it's claimed to offer "exceptional wear resistance".

I've got some knives that are really tough stainless and resist sharpening.  I can get 'em sharp, it's just a lot of grinding and pressure.  I wonder how it would work on that those.

Hmm...  I wonder if it excessively wears on the truing tool?

Thanks for letting us know about your progress!

Hi Mark

I've not actually tried it yet. The 12 minutes on the bowl gouge didn't need it. Having just had a look this morning though I notice it is channelled in the centre where the point if the gouge has grooved it. I will true it later and test that. I did all my knives at the weekend so can't do them again.

Tell you what, ill try my bench chisels, they could use a tuneup and they're regular softer steel. Ill report back

Cheers

R
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Good field work, Rob.

In his excellent book on sharpening, Ron Hock makes the comment that he uses carbon knives in his kitchen.  He states he hasn't needed to use more than a steel on them in years of use.  Interesting that someone of his knowledge and experience hasn't bought into the marketing nonsense of needing knives which won't stain when cutting onions.

Ken

grepper

Thanks Rob.  That will be interesting.  Interesting too is that you channeled the surface with the gouge.

BTW, while it somewhat greeps me out, I can think of some quick and easy scenarios of how you could use the T-7 to "prepare" your knives for a proper sharpening again.  :)

_All_ of my stuff is sharp.  I even pulled the blades from my oddly large collection of those grey handled utility knives with the sliding blades, and sharpened those.   Now what???

Mark

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Rob

I recall when I first got the T7. I did all my stuff and eventually ran out of things to sharpen. It was around that time my friends and family started benefiting enormously :-)
Best.    Rob.

grepper

All of my mother-in-law's knives are sharp.  The wife works at a nursery.  All of their pruners are sharp. (For free!).  I had my house resided.  The siding crew left will all of their tin snips sharp.  Now what?  :'(

Rob

Haha that's funny Mark. You should start charging old sport, they do say you should make your passion your work to find true enlightenment.....maybe that's destiny trying to tell you something???

I could just see me sharpening scissors door to door...there you are madam...and would you like any natural edge bowls turning while I'm here :-)
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Well I trued the blackstone this afternoon for the first time. Absolutely no different to the SG. Procedure and ease were identical

I then deliberately sharpened a carbon steel blade to see how it cuts.  I mounted my Stanley bailey smoother plane iron with the square edge jig.  It had a couple tiny nicks towards one side.  It was dull.  I ground the whole bevel at 24 then a micro bevel at 25.

Couldn't believe it.....cuts like butter. I actually counted the passes, 16 passes with very light pressure and the whole bevel was done. I was gob smacked.

Regraded with the 1000 grit, that seemed easier than the original stone???  How can that be??  Four passes and it was done

Honed, bobs your uncle.....sharp as my old headmaster!!

Extremely impressed with this puppy so far. I also checked the wheel with a straight edge and it was still true.  Mind you, it hadn't really done any work :-)

Brilliant.  Love it.
Best.    Rob.

grepper

Rob,

Well how cool is that?  I guess time will tell, but it sure sounds like it is nothing but an improvement to the SG.  Maybe there are other reasons, but it almost sounds like Tormek should just bail  on the old wheel and start shipping these hot black ones!

Thanks for checking that out and letting us know.

Mark

Rob

Yeah Agreed. Why wouldn't they....oh hang on....it cost £138. Now I remember. Ouch...Im getting far too cynical in my old age :-)
Best.    Rob.