News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Short stints of dry grinding.....is it possible?

Started by Rob, February 24, 2013, 05:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Rob on February 25, 2013, 03:54:10 PM
I've got one other question, how on earth do you stop the steel from losing its temper on a dry grinder?  I have very little experience on dry bench grinders because before my Tormek I did everything by hand.

First of all, avoid grinding on places where the steel is thin.  If you have to do that use a wet grinder.  Like the Tormek. :-)

Second, keep a can of water nearby.  Keep the steel cool by dipping it in the water frequently.  Never let it get hot.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Well stated, Herman.  When I ground off the decades of accumulated mushrooming from the splitting wedges, there was plenty of metal to absorb the heat.  A very good recommendation for sharp edges like planes and chisels is to stop grinding when you reach a small flat edge.  Finish the rest with an oil or water stone.  Often it's that last pass which ruins the edge, just like the last tap with the hammer or the last bit of tightening on a bolt.

Ken

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Jeff Farris

Guys, my computer has been down for a couple of days, so I'm catching up, but...

DON'T DO IT!!!

It will damage your grindstone and will not have the desired effect (faster cutting).

Take a trip to a machine shop. If they have high end equipment, you'll see that it all uses a liquid coolant. Coolant makes for faster cutting, not slower. Dry cutting on dry grinders is faster because the stones are 4 to 6 times coarser, not because it's dry.
Jeff Farris

Rob

Ah there you are Jeff. I figured up you might be on holiday

Right then....important tip...don't dry grind. Thanks for that
Best.    Rob.

Elden

Ken,
Been kicking this grinding wheel thing around. Jeff, this is for the bench grinder, not the Tormek. :)
How durable is the Norton 3x 46 grit wheel? It seems to be pretty hefty on the price.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2081178/30614/6-x-34-x-1-norton-3x-grinding-wheel-46-grit.aspx
Elden

Herman Trivilino

According to Ron Hock's The Perfect Edge this is the most expensive and the best of the three types readily available.  These are called "seeded gel" because the abrasive is embedded in a gel.  These wheels run the coolest of the three types (all designed to grind tool steel) but can still overheat.

Elden

Interesting. I haven't checked the price of regular bench grinder wheels for years. I'm sure they have jumped significantly in price from then.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

There are less expensive options, but they run hotter.

Ken S

Elden,

I really like the Norton 3X 46 grit wheel on my dry grinder.  Before I added it, I was using a Norton white wheel with 80 grit.  It was quite an improvement over the regular gray wheels.  It has not been used since I added the Tormek.

When I have heavy grinding to do, the Norton 3X does the job.  How does it hold up?  I have not noticed a problem with it, but that's very unscientific.  I hold up better with it because it cuts so well.  I would not use it instead of the cooler wet wheel Tormek.  For removing decades of mushrooming on a couple splitting wedges, it was a trooper.

If you are in a hurry shaping turning tools and use a dry grinder, that's the wheel I would use.  (I have not tried it for that.)

If I was using it for any edges where I was concerned about overheating, I would dress the edge crowned, to narrow the actual cutting area.  (Joel Moskowitz' suggestion).

Ken

Elden

Thanks Ken! That satisfied my curousity. If you have not noticed it holding up as well, then there shouldn't be too much difference from the standard wheels.

Quote from: Ken S on March 11, 2013, 09:18:28 PM
I would not use it instead of the cooler wet wheel Tormek.  For removing decades of mushrooming on a couple splitting wedges, it was a trooper.

No, I'm not trying to replace the the Tormek wet wheel, but have need of the brute force of the bench grinder from time to time. I also have some drill bits larger than 3/4 inch that I sharpen on the bench grinder.
Elden

Ken S

Elden,

I think the #X 46 grit wheel would be just the ticket for large drill bits.  The large grit runs cooler than finer grits.  It works quickly, and, with a light touch, leaves a surprisingly smooth surface. 

(You might want to try using a final freehand smoothing pass with the Tormek.)  Keep us posted!

Ken

Ken S

Poor Jeff.  He must have thought the Tormek world went to hell in a hand basket while his computer was down.

Elden

Probably won't happen for a while. My wife might string me up! She keeps telling me that I am going to have to cut back as our last at home son, leaves for college next year. ;)
Elden