News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to sharpen a scalloped bread knife

Started by haasm, February 24, 2013, 02:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

I used to clamp my oil stone to the end of my saw horse when honing my block plane on site. Think my fingers are still sore thirty years later!
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Herman, I seem to remember an old carpenter saying, "A good framer is worth two trimmers."

I think some of can remember when that hot shot kid decided to make square wheels round!

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I was fortunate in that I got to work with a lot of different carpenters.  Cornice, framing, and finish carpentry.  A lot of roofing, too, unfortunately.  That was a former life, although the skills I learned I've refined over the years and can do just about anything around the house that needs doing.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Do you have the terms first and second fix for carpentry in the US?
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

No, never heard of them.  First fix is the framer, and second fix is the finish carpenter?

Jeff Farris

We always called that "Cut and Cover".  :D
Jeff Farris

Rob

Dam good guess Herman, spot on

And Jeff, cut and cover, that's good.  There you go you see, you Americans....brilliant and shortening words but still conveying the meaning. I'm logging that one for future use  ::) 8)
Best.    Rob.

Elden

Like that fellows!
Rob, never heard of your terms either, but it makes sense.
Jeff, never heard the terms "cut and cover" either, but describes it perfectly!
I used to work with a fellow that said, "They make caulking in wide beads nowadays!"
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Rob, my daughter and her family have been living temporarily in England for most of the last decade or so.  I've made several trips so I've sort of picked up a bit of how the language mirrors the culture.  For example, carpenters wouldn't be seen so much as builders of things as they would fixers of things, so those terms make sense.  It's a much older culture so there are fewer things to build and more things to fix.

Either way, we gotta keep our tools sharp.

And while you're at it, keep your stick on the ice.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: kb0rvo on March 01, 2013, 04:52:07 PM
I used to work with a fellow that said, "They make caulking in wide beads nowadays!"

And when the caulk isn't wide enough, there's daubing.

Elden

Boy! Google does wonders on this terminology stuff! Otherwise, you all would be "leaving me out in the cold".
Elden

Rob

I believe that's being "sent to Coventry" Elden :-)
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

I was led to understand that daubing is a material that you pack into a crack below the finished surface.  It provides a backing for a wide bead of caulking to be applied to the crack.

If a crack is so wide that you cannot stop a bead of caulk from falling into the crack as you try to caulk it, you apply some daubing as a filler to keep the caulk from falling in the crack.  Anything could be used as daubing.  Steel wool works well but in a pinch you could use crumpled newspapers or just about anything you could find lying about the job site.

Thus, a poor carpenter relies on caulking to make his work look acceptable.

And really poor carpenter relies on daubing.

The worst insult to hurl at a carpenter, in jest of course, is to shout out "daub it".