News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

OK - Pocket knife jig (hardware suggestion)

Started by grepper, February 15, 2013, 04:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

After reading the "Does Tormek take hardware suggestions" thread, I'll bump the pocket knife (and knives with very thin blades) jig request again.

Not trying to blab or beat a dead horse as I know this has been brought up before, but maybe this post will add a new record to a database somewhere.

Maybe it could be something that would grip the handle, or pinch around the heel of the blade?

Occasionally, on very small knives, the knife jig will open wide enough to grab the handle, but most times not.

My freehand sharpening has a lot to be desired!

Herman Trivilino

I like the idea of a jig that grabs the handle.  Would have to careful, though, with non-locking blades as they would tend to fold back in when grinding away from the edge, which would no doubt be the grinding direction on a small knife.
Origin: Big Bang

grepper

Herman,  Yup.  and you can't press very hard as the blade flexes at the joint so you'd have to be rather careful.

I've only had my T-7 for a few months, and I'm learning that there is a real art to becoming skilled with it.  I'm getting better, but this does take some practice!  I'm really appreciative of suggestions and instructions.

Why not sharpen into the blade?

Thanks,

Mark

Herman Trivilino

Grinding towards the edge removes steel faster so it's less forgiving.  You can grind a small knife away in no time at all, especially the smaller blade!
Origin: Big Bang