News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Way to true the side of the wheel?

Started by tedn1, February 13, 2013, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

Personally, I find the "tangents" interesting. I have found some very interesting and helpful information in various threads that really doesn't deal with actual sharpening.  However, most of it involves things that require sharpening.  :)
Elden

Ken S

I agree, Elden.

I have seen a few threads go so far off topic and become so long that they became quite ineffective.  The longest thread on this forum is 130 posts.  It should have been several independent posts.  I also think some of the posts in Tormek specific questions should have been posted under hand tool woodworking.

While this has happened rarely, I see many more posts which never reach their potential value because of lack of answers.  There is a wealth of knowledge, much of it only generally related to sharpening with the Tormek, which has gone unposted.

The members of this forum seem commendably courteous.  I appreciate that.  We come from many different parts of the world, occupations, and skill backgrounds.  This makes the forum a better place, and it would be even better if people would post more. 

Yes, let's comment on the questions posted.  However, let's not hesitate to add the unique seasoning of related "off topic" experiences.

Ken

Rob

I entirely agree as stated in my previous post. There is another point on this. This forum is quite a special interest group and as such it's not bombarded with posts. I for example have owned a Tormek a few years now but only discovered the forum about a month ago.  I can easily read, digest, contribute if I feel able to all the posts in any given 24hour period because the volume is sufficiently low.

So embellishing with a spot of "seasoning" as Ken puts it isn't putting any burden on the site. There is one final point to make. The way our minds/memory's work is by association. So when a technical topic is raised its perfectly natural for the discussion to prompt unique experiences that contributors recall from their Tormek endeavours. Whilst it may be "off topic" it can be quite useful.
Best.    Rob.