News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

sharpening lawn mower blades?

Started by maxonsystems, December 21, 2003, 06:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxonsystems

O.K. I bit the bullet and bought the tormek system.  It in fact is the coolest tool I have in my shop.  My question is on the topic of sharpening lawn mower blades.  Can it be done with the tormek system and with what jig?

Regards,
Eric

Jeff Farris

Your lawn will love you for it!

Turn your TORMEK around so that the wheel is turning away from and freehand grind the lawnmower blade, approximating the orginal bevel angle of the blade.  You will want to frequently use your Stone Grader to clean the the stone and keep it cutting effectively.  

Most lawnmower blades are a relatively soft steel (otherwise they would chip worse than they do).  The leather strop will remove the wire edge, but it is a bit time consuming and is definitely over-kill.  I use the side of the stone.
Jeff Farris

RussHunt

I too am a new Tormek user.  I have proved to myself that with a few minutes work Wal-Mart scissors can cut.  Back to the lawnmower blade - do we know what the correct angle is supposed to be?   Ours has been "free handed" on a grinder so many times that I know that it is not right.   Yes, this is overkill but the blades of grass will be cut sharply and thus the lawn will look better.

Thanks for any insight.

Russ  

Jeff Farris

Generally...

How's that for a disclaimer.  ::)

They should be at 45 degrees.  Think about it this way, if the angle is long (30 or less) the edge will be brittle, and any little twig will nick it.  Blunter than 45 and you quit cutting and start whacking.  

Jeff Farris