News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

In Channel gouge

Started by tedn1, January 22, 2013, 04:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tedn1

Hello,

I'm just learning about Tormeks now. I have not yet purchased one.

I have a few questions:

1. Can a Tormek sharpen a chisel with an "in-channel" gouge? Meaning the bevel in on the inside of the chisel, not the outside.

2. If I were to buy the T-3 Tormek, could a put the bigger 50mm wheel on the machine, or would I not be able to do that? I have a hand planer that has a blade that is exactly 50mm in length, and I know that the T-7 has a 50mm wheel, but I'd prefer to not spend the extra 250 if I don't have to. But if I do, it'll be worthwhile, in the end I'm sure.

3. I know there are a lot of jigs out there for different chisels. I didn't see a jig for a chisel that is 1 inch in width. Is there such a thing?

4. Will the leather stropping wheel give you a mirror edge, or do you really need to get the Japanese water stone for that? If you do need the Japanese water stone, does it come in 50mm width?

5. Is there any threat of Tormek going out of business? I would hate to invest in this tool, and then find out that the company is going out of business, and I can't get parts for it any longer. That has happened with many of my tools, and it's really a pain when that happens. I worry about things like the leather stropping wheel, as this looks like a part that wears out frequently and needs to be replaced.

Thanks for your help!
Ted

Ken S

Hi, Ted.

In cannel gouges are more specialized tools to sharpen.  The Tormek isn't really designed to sharpen them.  I generally use round slipstones (Norton makes them; they are oil stones) or dowels wrapped with different grits of wet or dry abrasive.  These are tools where careful use and frequent touch up sharpening are rewarded.

With tools wider than the width of the stone, just go back and forth.  The SE-76 comes with a stop to keep the end of the tool from traveling beyond the end of the wheel.

No, there is no Tormek jig that is made specifically for one inch chisels.  However, that's not really an issue, as the standard jig can sharpen any width chisel or plane blade.

The leather wheel should polish your chisel edges.  I generally finish with an 8000 grit waterstone.  The Tormek stone has done the hard work; the flat waterstone just does the polishing.  (This is just my opinion.)

The Tormek is made in Sweden.  The Swedish economy seems healthy.  No guarantees, however, I would think Tormek is a fairly safe company.  One think I have noticed is that the Tormek is a very robust product and many of the parts are standard hardware.  There isn't much to break.  At 90 rpm, there is little strain on the parts.  I wouldn't worry about needing unavailable parts.  They have been made for many years, so finding another unit in the future should be no problem even if the company were to go out of business.

Welcome to the forum.

Ken

tedn1

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your very thorough response!

Well, I broke down and purchased one! Looking forward to checking it out.

Thanks!
-Ted

Ken S

Congratulations, Ted.

Be sure to watch Jeff's videos on the sharptoolsusa.com website. There is no charge for watching them more than once.  They will help you get a feel for your new Tormek.

Start with a simple tool, like a medium width chisel, nothing fancy at first.  Get a good grasp of the fundamentals. (There are several threads on this.)

Don't over oil your honing wheel. (Several threads on this also.)

At the end of the day, be sure to empty and clean out the water trough.  (ditto)

Enjoy your Tormek and keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Ken