News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening knives while seated

Started by Elden, December 11, 2012, 08:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

Anyone have experience sharpening knives while being seated? I have been making some progress on the learning curve, but would appreciate any advice. I am positioned on the opposite side of the Tormek than the operators in the  pictures that I see sharpening knives.
Thanks,
Elden
Elden

Ric Albano

I have a custom built table low enough to work over top the grinder sitting on a stool that has a back rest and casters.  I wheel around my work bench which is very efficient

The table is square and just slightly bigger than the Tormek unit fabricated from heavy wall steel tubing with a solid wood top.  I turn the table so a corner is up against the stool and below me.

The Tormek sits in the RB-180 rotating base which is an absolute God send having to flip around to the leather wheel or positioning the universal bar

Working this way though i find the need to wear a leather apron because the Tormek sharpened knives are unforgiving

Have fun, I am

Elden

Ric,
Thanks your reply. I'll consider the shorter table aspect. Actually I am in a wheel chair and have abductor restraint for my legs which won't allow something of that width between my knees. However, by taking off the foot rests, they would also be removed.
Thus far, I have been using a piece of 3/4" flooring material clamped on to small table. It extends out enough  to allow my legs to go under it. This sets the Tormek high enough that I can't see or reach the work over the top of it. I have not made it permanent so different ways could be tried.
As you said, I am having fun with the process of learning to use it! :D
Thanks,
Elden
Elden

Rhino

I use a geek desk for some of my projects.  http://www.geekdesk.com/Default.asp?g_i=324309691_20121213_163835_41T71U4CYY&lang=61

It cost about 1.5 the price of a Tormek.  But there are many uses for a table that goes up and down electrically.