News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing & Chef's Knives

Started by GeorgeD, April 25, 2005, 02:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeD

I recently received my Tomek and have been finding every edge possible in the shop and house.  This is a two part question and I apologize if this has been covered in another thread, but I could not find anything:
1. Not quite sure if I orignially prepped the honing wheel with enough mineral oil and got it fully saturated. Should I just continue on with the honing compound, or re-apply a little mineral oil as I work?

2. When working with a Chef's knife, I have had no real problem sharpening the edge (other than getting my hands to do what my brain is telling them), but when I try to go to the honing wheel, I am at the point of the tip almost hitting the stone and then in reverse, the handle almost hits the stone.  Should I be attacking the honing wheel differently? Or should I be using it in a more vertical direction with the support as it moves from the edge?

Thanks for everyone's help and all the great information that everyone give here.

Honer

I can't answer question #1 since I can't see your honing wheel.
But as far as chef's knives - you just have to adjust the angle of the knife to avoid hitting the grinding wheel - it doesn't have to be perpendicular to the wheel to get a good hone.

I am starting to build a following sharpening knives for professional chefs.
I get $5 a blade for 8 or 10 inch chef's knives and once I prove how good a job I do, they are happy to pay.
My main competition is a national knife rental business that supplies really crappy blades and provides rather indifferent service.

On Wednesday, I get delivery of 144 commercial kitchen knives so I can go into the rental business.
I financed the purchase by selling 90 blades to one customer!

So far so good.

"life shouldn't be dull."

Rick
from NotsoDull! Mobile Sharpening Service

GeorgeD

Thanks Honer!  Hope your new venture goes well for you.
I did adjust the angle to the honing wheel and it seemed to do just fine.
It's just one of those things that you do, that you question the way you are doing it that someone out there might just have a better way.
I too got my Tormek for business reasons and it seems to be one of the better purchases I have made for a while.