News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

draw knife

Started by Frank Kratky, August 25, 2012, 12:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Kratky

I just purchased a good draw knife in a flea market.  Any suggestions on sharpening on the Tormek.  How about in flattening the back.  I know to use the large knife jig, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips.  Thank you very much for your time and help!

Herman Trivilino

What kind of shape is the edge in?  I would flatten the back on the side of the grindstone, but only if needed.  Unless the edge is in really bad shape I would freehand with the grindstone moving away from me.  Dress the stone with the fine side of the grader.
Origin: Big Bang

Mike Fairleigh

I inherited a good Greenlee that wasn't in terrible shape but had to be cleaned up and sharpened.  For the back, I decided to do the bulk of it with sandpaper on a granite plate, and I would recommend that approach.  I used the long knife jig for the bevel and that worked well, though as usual, take your time and check your progress often.  I finished both the back and the bevel on waterstones, then honed on the Tormek strop.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln